CJP suggests arresting Anwar Majeed’s son Nimr in money laundering case
The top judge made the remarks as a three-member bench of the Supreme Court headed by CJP resumed hearing a case against fake bank accounts that were used to launder over Rs100 billion out of the country.
Additional Attorney General Nayyar Rizvi informed the court that the joint investigation team (JIT) tasked to probe the alleged money laundering had submitted a progress report on Omni Group’s bank accounts.
FIA arrests Omni Group chairman’s son in money ... 06:56 PM | 27 Oct, 2018
KARACHI - The Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) on Saturday arrested the son of Omni Group chairman Anwar Majeed ...
The director general of the Federal Investigation Agency told the court that the JIT was continuing its probe into the matter.
Expressing his satisfaction over the JIT’s progress, Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar remarked that he realised the JIT’s task was not easy but at the same time, the court could not adjourn the case hearing for an indefinite time.
The head of the JIT asked the court for a month to submit its final report in the investigation.
In his remarks, the Chief Justice observed that the securities loaned out to different banks were no longer present in the banks. At the same time, he hinted that Nimr Majeed, the son of Omni Group chairman Anwar Majeed, be arrested and included in the investigation.
“Take Nimr Majeed into custody, and transfer Anwar Majeed to Adiala Jail as he (Anwar Majeed) is dictating all of Sindh via his phone,” Justice Nisar suggested.
SC orders relocation of Hussain Lawai, Anwar and ... 03:14 PM | 24 Sep, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Chief Justice of Pakistan, Justice Mian Saqib Nisar ordered on Monday that Omni Group chairman Anwar ...
Nimr Majeed was arrested by the FIA last month, but was released a day later on the court’s orders.
The top judge remarked that the court would summon representatives from the concerned banks to understand the situation better.
“We will end the case if the public’s money is returned to them,” Justice Nisar observed.
The FIA submitted its report to the Supreme Court on alleged disappearance of sugar from mills owned by the Omni Group.
MONEY LAUNDERING CASE:
The case was initially registered in 2015 against former Pakistan Stock Exchange Chairman Hussain Lawai, who is widely believed to be close to former president Zardari.
In July, Lawai was arrested in connection with the probe along with the Omni Group Chairman Anwar Majeed, and his son, Abdul Ghani Majeed, were also arrested by the FIA. Lawai, Majeed and his son remain under custody for interrogation.
Zardari's aide Anwar Majeed arrested as money ... 10:27 AM | 15 Aug, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Anwar Majeed, a close aide and an alleged frontman of former president Asif Ali Zardari was arrested on ...
Investigations so far have revealed that several ‘benami’ accounts at some private banks were opened in 2013, 2014 and 2015 from which transactions worth billions of rupees were made.
The amount, according to the FIA, is said to be black money gathered from various kickbacks, commissions and bribes.
- Rs28 billion relief package for the poor will be part of next budget, ...11:35 PM | 27 May, 2022
- Pakistani PM Shehbaz Sharif to visit Turkey next week, says Foreign ...11:09 PM | 27 May, 2022
- Shireen Mazari's daughter booked for 'defaming' Pakistan Army chief09:43 PM | 27 May, 2022
- TikToker Dolly's bail plea in forest fire case dismissed by Islamabad ...06:09 PM | 27 May, 2022
- Shyra Roy shares her working experience with Hrithik Roshan07:53 PM | 27 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022