SC orders Ayyan Ali's name to be struck off ECL
Previously, on March 7, the Sindh High Court (SHC) had also issued instructions for removal of Ayyan Ali's name from ECL.
However the court also accepted a request of Customs official in which they preyed to the court to give fourteen days to implement the order -which meant Ayyan Ali’s name was to be struck off ECL till March 21.
Benefiting from SHC's March 21 deadline, the Customs authorities moved Supreme Court against SHC decision. At which a SC bench placed all concerned parties on notice and issued a stay order in the case, ceasing implementation on SHC's verdict on March 17.
Arguing before the apex court, Customs officials said if Ayyan Ali was allowed to leave the country, she may not return to face legal proceedings still pending against her.
At which Ayyan Ali's lawyer informed the court that the model wants to visit her mother in Dubai and that she has fulfill some business deals as well. If not allowed to travel abroad, the model will have to suffer heavy commercial losses, he maintained.
Accepting the request filed by Ayyan Ali's legal counsel, the SC dismissed plea of Customs officials.
Ayyan was arrested by the Customs officials from Benazir Bhutto International Airport, Islamabad, in March on charges of smuggling US $500,000 abroad. Afterwards she remained held at Rawalpindi’s Adiala Jail till Lahore High Court (LHC) ordered her release.
Later on, the Customs Court also returned her passport but refused to remove her name from Exit Control List (ECL). The model moved Sindh High Court (SHC) against Customs Court’s decision.
On March 7, the Sindh High Court (SHC) ordered federal interior ministry to remove the name of model Ayyan Ali from Exit Control List (ECL).
Accepting a plea filed by Ayyan Ali against the decision of Rawalpindi Customs Court, in which the judge had rejected model’s request to remove her name from ECL, the SHC said that Ayyan Ali’s name should be removed from list immediately. The SHC's verdict was challenged in the Supreme Court later on.
In the meanwhile the Customs Department also announced to confiscate the model's money US $500,000 which she was allegedly smuggling abroad. An additional fine of Rs5 crore was also imposed on Ayyan Ali.
- Sikh pilgrims reach Pakistan for Guru Nanak’s birth anniversary12:02 AM | 28 Nov, 2020
- Cancel rallies for public's sake, PM urges PDM as second COVID-19 ...11:36 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
- Maryam hugs uncle as grandmother's body flown to Pakistan11:26 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
- Bakhtawar drops first picture with fiancé Mahmood post-engagement09:59 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
- Exclusive Pics: Bakhtawar is ENGAGED09:18 PM | 27 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020