IFC announces $150 million loan to Habib Bank
IFC also announced an equity investment of $75 million to HBL which in addition to its growth will boost financial inclusion, especially for women and rural communities, and strengthen the country's private sector, said a press release.
IFC's investment is expected to help HBL launch programs to increase the number of women depositors and lending to agricultural and rural borrowers. HBL is Pakistan's biggest commercial bank.
"We partner with banks like HBL because they have the scale, outreach, and depth to transform financial inclusion and private sector development - the two pillars of our strategy in Pakistan," said Mouayed Makhlouf, IFC Regional Director for the Middle East and North Africa.
"Scaling up financial inclusion is also a strategic priority for the World Bank Group to achieve universal financial access by 2020." "Our strong market presence enables us to be a key player in promoting financial inclusion and reaching out to critically underserved segments in Pakistan," said Nauman Dar, HBL's President and CEO.
"IFC's engagement will support our growth in rural and agricultural financing, in reaching out to women depositors and women-run businesses, and help us deepen our business internationally."
Pakistan represents IFC's second-largest exposure in the MENA region, with over $5.6 billion in cumulative investments committed to date.
IFC's current investment exposure in Pakistan is about $1.1 billion in over 45 companies in sectors including infrastructure (energy, ports, and transport), financial markets, and general manufacturing and services.
- ‘Marry, divorce, remarry’ – Man weds same woman four times for ...02:20 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- PIA all set to start direct flights from Karachi to Skardu01:57 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Hong Kong bans flights from Pakistan, other countries over fears of ...01:20 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- PM Imran vows to run collective campaign against blasphemous ...01:03 PM | 19 Apr, 2021
- Hiba Bukhari wins hearts by reciting Naat07:23 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Aamir Liaquat takes a terrible fall during race in Ramadan show ...06:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Imran Abbas appointed goodwill ambassador by Turkey03:19 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021