CJP Saqib vows to resolve contaminated water issue before elections
The chief justice expressed the resolve while hearing a case regarding the water contamination filed by Advocate Shahab Usto at the apex court’s Karachi registry.
He highlighted that provision of safe drinking water to masses was the key responsibility of the government, adding that people were forced to consume polluted water in Karachi.
The chief justice said that the issue of water pollution has also been raised in Punjab, adding that the matter will be resolved at every cost.
He lamented that contaminated water added into the river and then provide to the citizens. He also observed that around 45 mgd poisonous water is released in the Sea.
During the hearing, he said the Sindh government had taken no measures regarding the issues raised by the water commission in its report.
He also inquired the provincial attorney general about the steps, which have been taken so far by the government to settle the issue. He also asked Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah to give a time frame for tackling the issue by appearing before the court.
The chief justice said, "We want to resolve the issue before elections whether we have to hear the case till midnight".
He observed that the court could initiate contempt proceedings against the official on not giving answer to the court.
Not Interested in Becoming Leader
During the hearing, the chief justice also discussed his recent visit to Mayo Hospital in Lahore. He said, "I do not care about criticism," adding that it was his duty to take care of citizen's fundamental rights.
The chief justice said that he cannot share what he observed during visit to Mayo hospital, adding that he was not interested in becoming the leader.
- Inzamam discharged from hospital after heart procedure12:35 AM | 29 Sep, 2021
- Britain puts army on standby as fuel supply crisis deepens amid panic ...11:37 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Security forces kill 10 terrorists including four commanders in ...10:49 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Taliban warn US, others against ‘encroaching on Afghan airspace’10:26 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- American superstar R. Kelly found guilty in sex trafficking trial04:59 PM | 28 Sep, 2021
- Famous YouTubers Shomaila and Hassam part ways04:09 PM | 28 Sep, 2021