SC grills govt over delay in census, hints at summoning PM Nawaz
A three-member bench headed by Chief Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali heard a suo moto case pertaining to delay in the census.
Remarking on government's statement that the census was impossible without army's support, Chief Justice Anwar Zaheer Jamali quipped that "on the same lines, Election Commission of Pakistan would also seek army's support for conducting general elections.
He maintained that the government should put forth a final date for census till December 7 otherwise premier Nawaz would be summoned by the court for further clarification as the court was left with no other option.
Throwing weight behind the chief justice, Justice Ameer Hani Muslim said the PM should appear before the court, in case the government fails to finalise any date for the census. He went on and inquired as when it would be feasible for Prime Minister to appear before the apex court.
Before Eidul Fitr, the chief justice had taken suo moto notice of the continuous delay in the population count, which was due to be held in 2008.
- US train riders ‘held up phones as woman was raped’, could face ...01:45 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Here’s how Pakistan Navy detected and blocked Indian submarine from ...01:20 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Drone flies lungs between two hospitals for transplant patient in ...12:55 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Afghan Taliban start building their own air force12:35 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- T-20 World Cup: Scotland beat Papua New Guinea by 17 runs12:13 AM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Kumail Nanjiani dressed up in a Pakistani designer at Eternals ...02:00 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Ayeza Khan’s new fashion look gets trolled by netizens05:25 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Alka Yagnik has the sweetest birthday wish for Imran Abbas05:10 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021