Search

Federal Cabinet approves Hajj policy 2019, decides against subsidy

10:00 AM | 1 Feb, 2019
Federal Cabinet approves Hajj policy 2019, decides against subsidy
LAHORE - The Federal Cabinet has approved the Hajj policy 2019 while rejecting a proposal for subsidy put forth by the Ministry of Religious Affairs.

During the cabinet meeting in Islamabad, chaired by Prime Minister Imran Khan, the cabinet was briefed on the Hajj policy and informed that 184,210 Pakistani citizens would perform Hajj this year.

According to reports, some federal ministers opposed the proposal of a government subsidy in the Hajj policy for 2019. The Ministry of Religious Affairs had proposed a subsidy of Rs45, 000 per pilgrim.

Under the Hajj policy for 2019, a package for residents from the northern region of the country will now cost Rs436,975 while for the south region residents it will cost Rs426,975.

https://twitter.com/pid_gov/status/1090995193220947968

For those opting to avail qurbani services, the costs go up by Rs20,000 per category. Additionally, pilgrims are required to carry about 2,000 Saudi riyals, while travelling.

The Hajj expenditures have increased by over 60 per cent as compared to the last year. In 2018, Hajjis from the northern zone paid Rs280, 000 and from the southern zone Rs270, 000.

Applications to perform Hajj would be accepted from 20 February, and 60 per cent of the quota would be given to the government and the remaining 40 per cent quota granted to private Hajj Group Organisers (HGOs)

It was also decided that there will be one supervisor as Prime Minister Imran Khan will personally monitor the entire Hajj process.

https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/pakistan/council-of-islamic-ideology-validates-hajj-subsidy-payment/

The cabinet decided that people who have been unsuccessful for three consecutive years will also not be required to enter the draw. Under the Hajj policy, 10,000 seats would be reserved for senior citizens and people with 80 years of age and above will not need to enter a draw to perform Hajj.

According to Radio Pakistan, Information Minister Fawad Hussain Chaudhry stated that under the new policy direct Hajj flights will be launched from Quetta for the first time.

Regarding Hajj subsidy he said that meeting had ended with the decision "to provide maximum facilities to pilgrims and no decision was taken regarding a subsidy".

https://en.dailypakistan.com.pk/pakistan/hajj-expenditures-become-costlier-by-over-rs156000-senate-told/

The information minister said that the intending pilgrims will be provided biometric system facility at a local level to expedite the processing of Hajj applications.

He said a quota of 10,000 pilgrims has been reserved for elderly citizens while another portion of 500 Hujjaj has been fixed for low-income people.

It was for the first time that the Haj policy was not announced by the Ministry of Religious Affairs minister, instead, it was conveyed through a routine press conference held by the Information Minister Fawad Chaudhry.

Daily Pakistan Global Web Desk

Advertisement

Pakistani rupee exchange rate to US dollar, Euro, Pound, Dirham, and Riyal - 18 May 2024 Forex Rates

Pakistani currency rates against US Dollar and other currencies on May 18, 2024 (Saturday) in open market.

USD to PKR rate today

US dollar was being quoted at 277.4 for buying and 280.35 for selling.

Euro stands at 297 for buying and 299.5 for selling while British Pound rate is 348.5 for buying, and 352 for selling.

UAE Dirham AED was at 75.25 and Saudi Riyal came down to 73.50.

Today’s currency exchange rates in Pakistan - 18 May 2024

Source: Forex Association of Pakistan. (last update 09:00 AM)
Currency Symbol Buying Selling
US Dollar USD 277.4 280.35
Euro EUR 297 299.5
UK Pound Sterling GBP 348.5 352
U.A.E Dirham AED 75.25 76
Saudi Riyal SAR 73.5 74.25
Australian Dollar AUD 181 183
Bahrain Dinar BHD 747.77 755.77
Canadian Dollar CAD 203 205
China Yuan CNY 38.49 38.89
Danish Krone DKK 40.25 40.65
Hong Kong Dollar HKD 35.96 36.31
Indian Rupee INR 3.33 3.44
Japanese Yen JPY 1.91 1.99
Kuwaiti Dinar KWD 913.28 922.28
Malaysian Ringgit MYR 58.69 59.29
New Zealand Dollar NZD 169.45 171.45
Norwegians Krone NOK 25.67 25.97
Omani Riyal OMR 730.59 738.59
Qatari Riyal QAR 76.41 77.11
Singapore Dollar SGD 203 205
Swedish Korona SEK 25.67 25.97
Swiss Franc CHF 309.01 311.51
Thai Bhat THB 7.57 7.72

Advertisement

Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Sign up for Newsletter