US welcomes Pakistan's decision to appeal verdict on Daniel Pearl murder case
NEW YORK - The US has welcomed Pakistan's decision to file an appeal against overturning of three convictions and commuting death sentence of prime accused in the 2002 kidnapping and murder of Wall Street Journal journalist Daniel Pearl by the Sindh High Court (SHC).
Allice Wells, Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of State, in a tweet said: "The overturning of the convictions for Daniel Pearl's murder is an affront to victims of terrorism everywhere. We welcome Pakistan's decision to appeal the verdict".
Wells added that those responsible for Pearl's kidnapping and murder still had to face the full measure of justice.
The overturning of the convictions for Daniel Pearl’s murder is an affront to victims of terrorism everywhere. We welcome Pakistan’s decision to appeal the verdict. Those responsible for Daniel's heinous kidnapping and murder must face the full measure of justice. AGW— State_SCA (@State_SCA) April 2, 2020
The SHC on Thursday commuted the death sentence of prime accused to seven-year imprisonment and acquitted three accomplices in the Pearl murder case.
A two-member bench KK Agha and Justice Zulfiqar Ali Sangi announced a verdict on appeals filed by prime accused Ahmad Omar Saeed Sheikh, a British national, and co-accused against the conviction in 2002.
An anti-terrorism court had awarded death sentence to Omar Sheikh and life imprisonment to Fahad Naseem, Salman Saqib and Sheikh Adil in July 2002.
The SHC said in the verdict that Sheikh has been found involved in kidnapping of Pearl, who was bureau chief of Wall Street Journal in South Asia region, but allegations of killing him were not proven against the suspect.
The US journalist was kidnapped in January 2002 and was killed by captors when their demands were not accepted.
- Saudi Arabia decides to allow Umrah from Oct 412:17 PM | 23 Sep, 2020
- Maryam Nawaz appears before IHC in Avenfield reference today11:44 AM | 23 Sep, 2020
- PM Imran lauds Turkish President for raising his voice in support of ...11:14 AM | 23 Sep, 2020
- Middle schools reopen in Federal Capital, Punjab, KP & Balochistan ...10:45 AM | 23 Sep, 2020
- Alizeh Shah looks unrecognisable in her new purple hair05:25 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Armeena Khan praises spot person's amazing vocals03:30 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Madam Noor Jehan's house should be turned into a museum: Shaan Shahid02:07 PM | 22 Sep, 2020
- Pakistan terms Kashmir, Palestine disputes as UN's most long-standing ...11:18 AM | 22 Sep, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020