Publicity campaign: CJP directs CM Shehbaz to deposit Rs 5.5m in national exchequer
Hearing the suo-moto case on Thursday, regarding the expenditure pertaining to media advertisements by the governments of Sindh, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, and Punjab, the top judge inquired the Information Secretary Punjab about the money spent on an advertisement by the government.
Dismayed by the massive disbursement, the judge observed that such amount of money could be utilized for the purchase of medicines for the down-trodden class.
The CJP went a mile more and directed the chief minister to deposit the amount Rs 5.5 million back in the national exchequer.
The apex court constituted a three-member bench headed by the Chief Justice and ordered the information secretaries to submit the record of awarding advertisements to print and electronic media.
“Taxpayers’ money is being used for self-promotion, big advertisements are awarded at the nation’s expense,” the chief justice remarked and wondered: Doesn’t this equate to pre-poll rigging?”.
“They (govts) will have to promote their work at their own expense,” he had said.
- Does Salman Khan have a wife and 17-year-old daughter in Dubai?11:38 PM | 22 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021