Pakistan committed to international obligations as nuclear power, says Foreign Secretary
He was addressing a conference titled Assessing South Asia`s Nuclear Security organized by Center for International Strategic Studies (CISS) in Islamabad on Thursday.
Aizaz Chaudhry said as a peaceful country Pakistan has always voiced its desire for strategic stability and urges all regional partners to utilize resources for economic development instead of furthering nuclearization in the region that in turn usher insecurity in the region.
He said people of Pakistan are the owners of Pakistan`s nuclear program which is meant only for its defence as a sovereign nation.
He said Pakistan qualifies the membership for Nuclear Suppliers Group and has mobilized the member countries for supporting the cause.
The Foreign Secretary hoped that political and commercial motives will not hinder Pakistan’s membership for the NSG.
Aizaz Chaudhry said Pakistan has urged the international community and partcularly the United States to shun discriminatory practices in the context of nuclear and defence ties as it jeopardizes the stability of whole region.
He said credible minimum deterrence remains our principle and as a sovereign country we take every step for the defence of our motherland if any strategic partnership or alliance threats our security and regional stability.
Referring to recent US-India defence deal, he said we have no comments for the bilateral relations of any country if these do not undermine our security and stability of the region.
He said Pakistan is a responsible nuclear state and its nuclear assets are safe and regularized by an autonomous body which is Pakistan Nuclear Regulatory Authority.
He said Pakistan is a staunch advocate of nuclear non-proliferation at international level and believes in amicable solution of all disputes.
In the context of India and Pakistan bilateral relations he said both countries need to bolster the Confidence Building Measures (CBMs) to reach pragmatic solutions for their long standing disputes.
He said belief in dialogue is the only way possible to keep the relations at a positive trajectory.
- T20 World Cup: Curtis Campher shines as Ireland beat Netherlands11:45 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Five Saudi cadets graduate from Pakistan Air Force Academy11:27 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- DG ISI briefs COAS Bajwa on internal security, Afghanistan08:37 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Atif Aslam pays tribute to late Farhad Humayun with iconic song06:00 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Ertugrul star Esra Bilgic in search of Pakistani NGOs05:00 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Priyanka Chopra goes scuba diving in Spain (VIDEO)05:25 PM | 18 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021