CJP Nisar announces to review May 12 violence case
The top judge arrived at the Karachi registry of Supreme Court on Saturday where fateha (prayers) was offered for the victims of the violence, unleashed 11 years ago. Moreover, the chief justice also ordered for a Qurankhawani to be held for the departed souls.
Meanwhile, Barrister Faisal Siddiqi, appeared before the court where the top judge asked whether the case has been investigated or not.
To this, Siddiqi replied that the case was currently being heard at the Sindh High Court.
Please tell me the case number and we will review it, the Chief Justice remarked and sought the case file.
The May 12th violence is among the most haunting incidents, the city of lights, is witness to.
At least 50 people were killed while over 140 were left injured after a major portion of Shahrah-e-Faisal turned into a battlefield as deposed Chief Justice of Pakistan, Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry, landed in the megapolis.
The former top judge had remained confined to the lounge of the airport throughout the day; he returned to Islamabad without addressing a lawyers’ convention.
A petition languishing in the provincial high court was filed by Syed Muhammad Iqbal Kazmi who had withdrawn the case in the case of rising threats to his life.
The suo motu proceedings clubbed with a constitutional petition, filed by Kazmi, sought an inquiry into the violence that is one of the most violent episodes of the country’s history.
Every year, the legal fraternity observes May 12 as a ‘Black Day’, with demands to thoroughly probe the carnage and try those responsible.
Kamran Farooq's Confession
Although the Muttahida Quami Movement has been accused of orchestrating the violence, the perception was bolstered after Kamran Farooq, a member of the Sindh Assembly confessed that MQM was involved in May 12th violence.
Farooq revealed that a meeting at the headquarter of the party was held days before the massacre where a decision was made to bar the lawyers from reaching the airport, in the presence of Farooq Sattar and others.
He testified that he along with his armed accomplices blocked many thoroughfares on May 12 and resorted to firing leaving many wounded.
- At least one dead, three injured in Karachi PC Hotel roof collapse ...12:24 AM | 27 May, 2022
- Pakistani, Indian killed in deadly gas explosion at UAE restaurant11:50 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Six Pakistani peacekeepers honoured posthumously at UN ceremony11:20 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Pakistan fail to qualify for Hockey World Cup after beaten by Japan10:49 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Pakistan increases petroleum prices by Rs30 per litre10:13 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Amna Ilyas’ new bold photo from France sets internet on fire07:13 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Fans share their dance videos to celebrate Ali Zafar’s hit song ...05:50 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Alizeh Shah’s new video of enjoying song in car goes viral04:45 PM | 26 May, 2022
- Five best Pakistani YouTube channels that would make your Ramadan ...12:24 PM | 15 Apr, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in most powerful passport list in 2022? ...08:37 PM | 5 Apr, 2022
- International Women's Day - Pakistani women who made a mark globally!09:55 PM | 8 Mar, 2022
- ‘Hybrid regime’: Pakistan among worst nations on EIU's Democracy ...01:22 PM | 12 Feb, 2022