Amendment to Khatam-e-Nabuwwat clause was deliberate attempt: report
The revelation also dumped the claims made by some PML-N leaders, including National Assembly Speaker Ayaz Sadiq that it was a clerical mistake that cause of change in the Khatam-e-Nabuwwat (Finality of Prophethood) Declaration Clause in Electoral Reforms Bill 2017.
On October 7, PML-N President Nawaz Sharif set up a committee, headed by Leader of the House in Senate Raja Zafarul Haq, comprising Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal and Federal Minister for Climate Change Mushahidullah Khan, to probe the matter. Nawaz also ordered to submit report in 24 working hours.
According to the Express Tribune, Raja Zafarul Haq has confirmed that a the alteration was made deliberately, adding that PML-N chief has been briefed about it.
Earlier this month, Punjab Chief Minister Shehbaz Sharif urged his elder brother to oust the person from the cabinet who is responsible for the blunder.
Following the demand of Shehbaz, Nawaz decided to form a three-member committee to investigate the matter and trace the responsible person.
On Friday, Shehbaz Sharif during a meeting of the Cabinet Committee on Law and Order said that the government firmly believed in the Finality of Prophethood of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).
The statement came not only after the amendment issue but also after the comment of provincial Law Minister Rana Sanaullah regarding the Ahmedi community.
After the issue raised in the parliament regarding the amendment, the government took immediate steps and restored the said clause by approving another amendment to the Election Act 2017.
- Pakistan proclaims new law to protect rights of journalists10:57 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Lt Gen Sarfraz Ali formally installed as Colonel Commandant of Azad ...09:07 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- British lawmakers laud Pakistan’s role in Afghanistan peace process08:29 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Pakistan issues visas to Indian pilgrims to visit Hindu shrine in ...07:53 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Aijaz Aslam's father passes away07:04 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Sarah Khan and Falak Shabir's new romantic video goes viral05:23 PM | 1 Dec, 2021
- Syra Yousuf spills the beans about co-parenting and divorce06:29 PM | 1 Dec, 2021