ECP orders arrest warrants for Imran Khan
ISLAMABAD - The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Thursday ordered to issue bailable arrest warrants for Pakistan Tehreek-i-Insaf Chairman Imran Khan for not appearing before the commission in contempt case.
The election body's five member bench headed by Chief Election Commissioner retired Justice Sardar Mohmmad Raza ordered the warrants while announcing a verdict in the case. The warrants have been ordered to ensure the presence of Imran Khan on September 25.
The commission also directed Khan to submit a surety bond of Rs100,000 for bail until September 25.
Earlier, PTI chief's counsel Babar Awan during the arguments urged the ECP to stop hearing of the case as the same matter is in the high court.
The ECP bench had summoned Imran in person on Thursday but he did not come.
Babar added that his client has arrived in Pakistan this morning and will come to attend hearing if ECP bench summons him.
On August 16, the commission had rejected a petition filed by Khan challenging the jurisdiction of the ECP to take up contempt case.
The ECP had issued a contempt notice to Khan in January over his scandalous remarks about the commission.
PTI founding member Akbar S Babar had filed the petition with the ECP after Khan used derogatory remarks against the polls body during the hearing of foreign funding case.
This case too was filed in November 2014 by Mr Babar alleging serious corruption in managing PTI donations received from ‘illegal’ foreign sources.
- PIA directed to control fares after overcharging complaints07:13 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PTI MNA tests positive for coronavirus as health crisis deepens in ...06:35 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Huawei Nova 7i – The hottest selling secret weapon of mobile gamers06:05 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Sri Lanka to reopen for tourism in August, with strict coronavirus ...05:27 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- COVID-19: NDMA delivers 286 ventilators to federating units04:42 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Pakistani celebrities who never endorsed fairness products01:50 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Kanye West donates $2 million, establishes college fund for George ...08:24 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- Meghan Markle speaks out about ‘Black Lives Matter’07:17 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020