Has Shehbaz Sharif applied for political asylum in UK?
LAHORE – Social media in Pakistan was abuzz Wednesday evening with conflicting reports of Pakistan’s top opposition leader seeking political asylum in the United Kingdom while on a medical trip to the European country.
Bol TV was the first to claim in its video report that the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) president has applied for political refuge. Many others followed in the suite, with Dunya TV’s popular show host Junaid Salim elaborating why one seeks humanitarian protection outside the home country.
میاں شہبازشریف سے متعلق جو خبریں گردش کررہی ہیں کہ انہوں نے برطانیہ میں سیاسی پناہ کیلیے درخواست دی ہے یہ بالکل جھوٹی اور بے بنیاد خبریں ہیں یہ شہبازشریف صاحب کے مخالفین کی خواہش تو ہوسکتی ہے مگر اس میں کوئی صداقت نہیں.@TararAttaullah pic.twitter.com/7Fn6J89weO— PML(N) (@pmln_org) May 15, 2019
But, soon after the reports made headlines, Sharif’s spokesman Attaullah Tarar took to Twitter to reject such reports.
In a video message, Tarar said Sharif, the former Punjab chief minister and Leader of the Opposition in National Assembly, will be returning to Pakistan before the budget session for the fiscal year 2019-20 in the National Assembly and Senate on May 24.
مسلم لیگ ن کے اسسٹنٹ سیکرٹری جنرل اور شہباز شریف کے وکیل عطا اللہ تارڑ کا شہباز شریف کی سیاسی پناہ کی درخواست کی خبر کو مسترد کرنے کے حوالے سے ویڈیو بیان pic.twitter.com/utYrmfyLmx— Arshad Waheed Ch (@arshad_Geo) May 15, 2019
He shared that Sharif has appointment with a West London cancer specialist on 8th of May and then another appointment on 14th of May. It is likely that he may be suggested a few more tests after which he will be returning to Pakistan.
Meanwhile, Shehbaz Sharif told The News in London that he will be back in Pakistan in a matter of days. “I can confirm that I will be back in Pakistan before the budget session. I have a few medical check-ups to attend to in the next few days and I will be returning to Pakistan after that. It could be much sooner than the budget session, subject to clearance from the doctors,” he added.
Shahbaz Sharif, a cancer patient, has been in London for over three weeks now and has met a number of doctors during the course of his stay. He has undergone various tests as part of his medical check-ups, especially for the pain he developed while in Kot Lakhpat jail amid a mega corruption probe.
Maryam Aurangzeb, the former PML-N information minister, has forwarded a written complaint to the chairman of Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority (PEMRA) bringing its attention to the fake news.
- FM Qureshi inaugurates new Pakistan embassy building in Doha11:23 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- PSL 2020 – Match 11: Peshawar Zalmi beat Lahore Qalandars by 16 runs11:13 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- At least 30 dead, dozens injured in Rohri train crash11:07 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- UN alarmed after ongoing anti-Muslim violence leaves 42 dead in India10:54 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Fracture rules Bismah Maroof out of ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 202010:41 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Canada will no longer pay for Harry and Meghan's security03:56 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Here's what Navin Waqar does to stay fit03:36 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Scientists think they know how stress causes grey hair03:04 PM | 28 Feb, 2020
- Top 10 most searched people of 2019 in Pakistan06:52 PM | 12 Feb, 2020
- Top five impressive benefits of Orange juice07:14 PM | 6 Feb, 2020
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019