Pakistan’s first ever successful awake brain tumor surgery performed at Shifa Hospital
According to hospital sources, awake brain tumor surgery is a neurosurgical technique that allows the surgeon to remove brain tumor while the patient is awake to avoid brain damage.
Dr Akbar performed awake brain surgery on a 50-year-old patient from Buner earlier this week (May 13, 2019). This is a preferred technique to remove lesions close to, or involving functionally important regions of the brain, like area responsible for speech, for movement of limbs, etc.
This allowed Dr Akbar to test regions of the brain before they are removed and allowed him to test patient's function continuously throughout the operation.
Anesthesia team also played a vital role in anesthetic management of the patient. The overall aim was to minimise the risks of paralysis or loss of speech following such operations.
- Live open market Foreign Currency Exchange Rates in Pakistan today - ...07:40 AM | 24 Nov, 2020
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 24 November 202007:20 AM | 24 Nov, 2020
- Daesh Karachi commander killed in Bajaur operation: ISPR11:16 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- GBLA-II: PPP workers clash with police over 'rigged' election results10:52 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- France forgives Pakistani minister for ‘insulting’ tweet10:00 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Does Meesha Shafi want to date Babar Azam?07:05 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Justin Bieber pens a beautiful 24th birthday message to wife Hailey ...03:43 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- YouTuber Umar Khan ties the knot03:15 PM | 23 Nov, 2020