Pakistan urges restraint as US deploys bombers, aircraft carriers in Persian Gulf
“The United States’ decision to deploy aircraft carrier and bombers has added to the tensions and the existing precarious security situation in Middle East. We expect all sides to show restraint as a miscalculated move can transmute into a large-scale conflict," Foreign Office spokesman Mohammad Faisal said in a weekly briefing in Islamabad.
Faisal said the issues between the US and Iran should be resolved through negotiations and talks as war was not an option.
Islamabad’s statement follows last week’s decision to send the U.S.S. Abraham Lincoln aircraft carrier and several B-52 bombers to the Persian Gulf region as Trump administration is ratcheting up anti-Iran rhetoric over Tehran’s nuclear programme.
Acting Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan reportedly presented a plan to President Donald Trump that could send as many as 120,000 troops to the region.
Iran recently said it would resume enriching uranium at higher levels if a new nuclear deal is not reached by July 7. That would potentially bring it closer to being able to develop a nuclear weapon, something Iran insists it has never sought.
The country's supreme leader Ayatollah Khamenei, on the other hand, says no one is seeking war.
50 Pakistanis deported from US
The FO spokesman also took up the issue of deportation of Pakistani nationals from US, saying it has been part of the bilateral agenda between the two countries for quite some time.
Pakistan's position has been consistent and clear that only those individuals can be deported to Pakistan who have exhausted all legal remedies to stay in the US and have also been duly verified by the government of Pakistan as Pakistani nationals, he added.
The FO spokesman also confirmed that around 50 deported Pakistani arrived in Islamabad through a chartered flight on Wednesday.
- Pakistan logs 336 new Covid infections, 10 deaths in past 24 hours09:27 AM | 6 Dec, 2021
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:08 AM | 6 Dec, 2021
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 06 December 202108:43 AM | 6 Dec, 2021
- Pakistan rebuilds, ready to open famous Jain Temple in Lahore12:55 AM | 6 Dec, 2021
- India reports highest COVID-19 deaths since July12:25 AM | 6 Dec, 2021
- Sara Ali Khan, Ranveer Singh win hearts with killer dance moves on ...05:15 PM | 5 Dec, 2021
- Hira Khan’s new dance video goes viral04:40 PM | 5 Dec, 2021
- Pakistani stars spotted dancing at celebrity wedding04:06 PM | 5 Dec, 2021