Pakistani, Canadian FMs discuss Afghanistan in phone call
ISLAMABAD – Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi received a telephone call from the Canadian counterpart Marc Garneau wherein they exchanged views on the latest developments in Afghanistan.
A statement issued by the Foreign Office said that they also spoke about bilateral matters.
Qureshi emphasized that a peaceful and stable Afghanistan was of paramount importance for Pakistan and the region. He also apprised Minister Garneau of his regional outreach efforts regarding the situation in Afghanistan.
FM Qureshi underlined the need for achieving an inclusive political settlement and the importance of the international community in providing humanitarian and economic assistance to Afghanistan. The Foreign Minister briefed his Canadian counterpart regarding humanitarian support provided by Pakistan including establishment of a humanitarian corridor for the delivery of relief goods and in-kind assistance by Pakistan for Afghan brethren through air and land routes.
In the bilateral context, Foreign Minister Qureshi expressed the hope that the next round of Bilateral Political Consultations scheduled to be held in October 2021 would be conducted ‘in-person’ if the Covid situation improved. Foreign Minister also called upon the Canadian Government to ease the visa regime especially for students and businessmen and asked for further positive revision of Canadian travel advisory for Pakistan.
In regard to the tragic incident on 16 September, involving a Pakistani-Canadian family in Hamilton Ontario, the Foreign Minister expressed confidence in the ability of Canadian authorities to ensure justice.
The Canadian Foreign Minister agreed that a peaceful and stable Afghanistan was crucial for regional peace, stability and prosperity, and praised Pakistan’s efforts in promoting these objectives. He expressed gratitude to Pakistan for its facilitation in evacuation related matters and hoped that such support will continue.
The two Foreign Ministers agreed to remain engaged and further strengthen bilateral ties. This was the fourth call between the two Foreign Ministers in recent months.
- JUI-F lawmaker Maulana Ayubi shares how to make alcohol ‘halal’ ...11:25 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- PCB celebrates Babar Azam’s birthday in style (VIDEO)10:59 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Aqeel, Bilal, Amna win double crowns in Sapphire Open National Tennis10:40 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Cooking oil prices increased by up to Rs110 per litre in utility ...10:22 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Zarnish Khan wants trolls to stop mocking Meera's English09:26 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Momal Sheikh leaves fans awestruck with latest pictures03:30 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Atif Aslam’s wife Sara Bharwana’s celebrates her birthday in style09:45 PM | 16 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021
- Celebrities who are gifted athletes05:57 PM | 5 Sep, 2021