ECP rejects political parties' request to extend polling time
The chief election commissioner presided over a meeting in Islamabad, which was attended by the ECP secretary and four members of the electoral body.
Before taking the final decision, the ECP also sought suggestions from all the four provincial election commissioners. Announcing the decision, it added: "Polling time was already extended by one hour".
In a press release, it added that all voters present in the polling station at 6pm will be allowed to cast their votes but people will not be allowed to enter the premises of the polling stations.
The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz, Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), Awami Muslim League and other political parties had moved the electoral to extend the time till 7pm.
Earlier today, the PML-N also sent a letter to the ECP asking it to extend the polling time citing the slack procedure.
According to a letter forwarded by Senator Mushahid Hussain Syed to the electoral body, the request has been made citing that only three to four constituents are allowed to cast their votes at a time.
The embattled party has also quoted section 70 of the Election Act 2017 which authorizes ECP to 'extend polling hours already fixed'.
The PML-N leader has requested the electoral watchdog to extend the time by one hour, from 6 pm to 7 pm so that the voters can use their right to franchise.
We are receiving complaints on a large-scale nationwide and PML-N would appreciate if this demand of the voters is accepted to ensure that the elections are free, fair and transparent so that all the voters desirous of casting their votes are not deprived of that fundamental right, stated the letter forwarded by the Senator.
Elections 2018 Live Results: PTI celebrates ... 03:00 PM | 25 Jul, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Final results of Pakistan's crucial and largest general elections are yet to be announced despite the ...
The Election Commission of Pakistan had earlier extended the polling time from 5 pm to 6 pm in June in order to facilitate the voters.
- Pakistani-American appointed as first Muslim police assistant chief ...01:11 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- WATCH - Vehari cops share Sehri, Iftar with detained TLP protesters12:18 PM | 18 Apr, 2021
- PAKvZIM: Green shirts arrive in Zimbabwe for T20I, Test Series11:52 AM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Pakistan’s first class cricketer shot dead for resisting robbery bid11:05 AM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Saad Rizvi placed on ATA’s fourth schedule, assets frozen, ID card ...10:28 AM | 18 Apr, 2021
- Imran Abbas releases his rendition of Qaseedah Burdah Shareef05:59 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Mustafa Jaane Rehmat – Atif Aslam's naat crosses 1.6 million views ...05:48 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Hira and Mani celebrate 13th wedding anniversary05:41 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021