ECP to announce verdict in contempt case against Imran Khan on September 27
A five-member, headed by Chief Election Commissioner Justice (retd) Sardar Raza Khan, stated this while hearing a contempt case against Khan filed by Akbar S Babar for using derogatory language against the ECP.
Today, counsel for Imran Khan also submitted a reply to the show-cause notice issued on September 14. After submitting the reply, Awan requested the ECP to dismiss contempt proceedings against his client.
In his written reply, Imran Khan said that he had filed an apology through his lawyer Saqlain Haider, adding that he had never opposed the apology. Following the submission of the apology, the case should have been decided, he further said.
"My counsel appeared as pleader/advocate with full authority to act on my behalf to set at rest the liss/contempt proceeding," reads Khan's written reply.
However, petitioner Akbar Babar's layer contented that Khan has not filed an apology with the court over his remarks.
The ECP observed that the decision will be announced after reviewing the reply of the PTI chairman on September 27.
On September 14, the ECP had issued bailable warrants against Imran to ensure his presence in the case, besides directing him to submit a surety bond of Rs100,000 until September 25.
Later, the warrants were suspended by the Islamabad High Court (IHC) after the accused party moved the court on September 20. The high court directed Imran Khan to submit reply to the show-cause notice issued by the ECP.
During the last hearing, Awan continued arguments asking the body to halt proceedings until the case is decided by the high court.
The notice was served on January 24 after Khan allegedly declined to submit the party’s accounts details and termed it ‘biased’.
Akbar Babar, who is also a petitioner in foreign funding case against the PTI leadership, had moved the election body after Khan accused it of being biased in the funding case.
In 2014, Babar moved the ECP to disqualify PTI Chairman Imran Khan for allegedly taking funds from illegal sources and irregularities in the bank accounts of the party.
He also accused Imran of using illegal channels to transfer $3 million, funds collected by PTI chief, from the Middle East to PTI members' accounts.
- Gold price jumps Rs700 per tola in Pakistan10:22 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan revises up 2020-21 economic growth rate at 5.37%09:50 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- U19 World Cup: Pakistan set 240-run target for Afghanistan08:46 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- ‘Bismillah’ – Sharmila Faruqui files cybercrime complaint ...06:49 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- 'Kana Yaari' – Coke Studio's hijabi rapper Eva B wins hearts07:31 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021