IHC suspends Nawaz Sharif's sentence for 8 weeks in Al-Azizia case
ISLAMABAD – The Islamabad High Court on Tuesday approved bail of former prime minister Nawaz Sharif on medical grounds in the Al-Azizia corruption reference, suspending his sentence for eight weeks.
A two-member bench comprising Justice Amir Farooq and Mohsin Akhtar Kayani announced the verdict on an appeal filed by Shehbaz Sharif, president of Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N), seeking suspension of his brother’s sentence due to his deteriorating health condition.
The court ordered to submit two surety bonds worth Rs2 million each. It further said that the former premier should approach the Punjab government for extension in bail if his health condition remains unstable.
The court in the same case had granted the former premier bail on Saturday and adjourned the hearing for Tuesday.
The PML-N supremo was shifted to Lahore’s Services Hospital last week from a detention facility of the National Accountability Bureau, which had taken the custody of him in the Chaudhry Sugar Mills case, after his health deteriorated.
The Lahore High Court (LHC) had also approved his bail in the sugar mills case on the medical grounds last week.
Nawaz's personal physician, Dr Adnan, briefed the IHC about the health of the former prime minister stating that the patient is in a critical condition, suffering from 'Thrombocytopenia (low platelet count), NSTEMI (heart attack) and kidney issues.
CM Buzdar’s Report
Punjab Chief Minister Usman Buzdar also appeared before the court to present a report on the health of the former premier.
He informed the court that Nawaz has no objection on the treatment being provided to him at the Lahore’s hospital, adding that they will take care of him.
The chief minister also apprised the court that he had provided relief to nearly 4,000 prisoners and paid penalty amount on 600 inmates. He assured the court of reforming the prisons system.
- Leonardo DiCaprio’s girlfriend Camila Morrone defends their 23-year ...02:01 PM | 7 Dec, 2019
- Saudi King denounces Florida naval base shooting12:46 PM | 7 Dec, 2019
- Shahida Abbasi from Balochistan bags gold at Asian games03:17 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019