EXCLUSIVE: Czech drug mule sent to Pakistani jail after first court appearance (VIDEOS and PICS)
Tereza Hluskova, a model by profession, was taken into custody by Customs officials with nine kilograms of heroin at Lahore airport on January 10. The 21-year-old was travelling to Ireland via Abu Dhabi.
Clad in semi traditional Pakistani dress, Tereza appeared before Magistrate Zafar Fareed Hashmi at district courts amid tight security. After a brief interaction with the judge, the model was shifted to a city jail where she will be detained till next hearing.
Her counsel, Chaudhary Jawad Zafar told Daily Pakistan that Tereza was fully cooperating with the investigators, and the trial is likely to conclude within six months. However, he added, it would be too early to speculate about the duration of her sentence.
As per the law, a person found guilty of smuggling over 10 kg of any prohibited drug is handed death sentence or life term in Pakistan. If found smuggling drugs less than 10kg in weight, a person can still face arrest up to 10 years. Drug smuggling is a non-bailable offence.
The lawyer also ruled out the model’s extradition to her native country - Czech Republic – as no treaty of such nature exists between the two countries.
The Czech national, pleading with her government to “rescue” her, said it was a “horrible situation” in the jail.
“Just please wait for me and try to help me,” said a visibly-shaken Tereza when asked if she had any message for her family and friends.
The alleged facilitator, who was remanded for fourteen days starting from Jan 24, maintained Tereza Hluskova was sent to the country by his brother's friend.
After appearing before the judge, Shoaib told Daily Pakistan that he was asked by his elder brother to accommodate the Czech model and arrange for her photo shootout on the request of a British-Pakistani man, known as Tariq or Mr 'T'.
He also revealed that the woman has made several visits to the country in the recent past.
Authorities are yet to determine who handed over the drug-filled bag to the Czech model at the airport.
The deputy high commissioner of Czech Republic Embassy in Pakistan was also present in the courts to attend the hearing along with the counsel. The diplomat, however, declined to comment on the issue.
Tereza Hluskova is currently held at Kot Lakhpat jail under Section-9C.
Watch here the exclusive coverage of Tereza Hluskova's first appearance in Lahore's district courts:
(Additional reporting by Nozair Hanif Mirza, editing by Dawood Rehman)
- Nora Fatehi’s belly dance moves in ‘Zaalima Coca Cola’ set ...04:04 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Ex-CM Sindh Arbab Ghulam Rahim appointed as PM's aide on Sindh affairs02:56 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Sajid Sadpara scales K2 amid expedition to search father’s body02:25 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Kubra Khan and Gohar Rasheed open up about their wedding plans01:45 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021