Restrictions in Occupied Kashmir to prevent Muharram processions
SRINAGAR - Indian authorities have imposed strict restrictions in Srinagar to bar people from taking out Muharram processions.
According to Kashmir Media Service, the restrictions are continued from Muharram 8 as troops have been deployed across the city yesterday, besides placing barbed wires on major roads to stop the Ashura processions.
The restrictions will remain in force on Muharram 9 and 10.
On Friday, a clash erupted between the police and mourners in the city leaving 10 people injured. The forces also arrested a minor boy Haider Ansari, son of Jammu and Kashmir Ittehad-ul-Muslimeen President Masroor Abbas Ansari, during a procession near Jehangir Chowk.
It is important to mention here that no main procession with regard to Muharram has been taken out in the city since 1990 due to the restrictions. Only small mourning gatherings are allowed in selected areas.
Prior to 1990, Ashura procession commenced from ShaheedGunj on Muharram 8 and ended at Imam Bara Dalgate by passing through MA Road.
- Conflict between PPP and Cynthia Ritchie intensifies after denial of ...08:22 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PML-N’s Khawaja Salman Rafique contracts coronavirus08:11 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- What Nawaz Sharif's doing in his latest picture from London07:37 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PIA directed to control fares after overcharging complaints07:13 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- PTI MNA tests positive for coronavirus as health crisis deepens in ...06:35 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Zaheer Abbas looks like Money Heist‘s 'Professor’, says Mehwish ...02:24 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Pakistani celebrities who never endorsed fairness products01:50 PM | 6 Jun, 2020
- Kanye West donates $2 million, establishes college fund for George ...08:24 PM | 5 Jun, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020