Envoy Khalilzad jets off to Kabul, says deal with Taliban at threshold level
The envoy, after concluding the latest round of talks, said on Sunday that the agreement will reduce'violence and open the door for Afghans to sit together to negotiate an honourable and sustainable peace'.
The envoy confirmed that he would jet off to Kabul today (Sunday).
We are at the threshold of an agreement that will reduce violence and open the door for Afghans to sit together to negotiate an honorable & sustainable peace and a unified, sovereign Afghanistan that does not threaten the United States, its allies, or any other country.
— U.S. Special Representative Zalmay Khalilzad (@US4AfghanPeace) August 31, 2019
The rivals have been brainstorming on the peace deal in Doha to strike a deal under which the Taliban would give security guarantees while the Trump administrations would reduce troops in the war-battered country.
Though Khalilzad has been revealing the details of the negotiations, the State Department is keeping mum over the developments.
"Despite speculation, we do not yet have an announcement to make," a US State Department spokesperson said, adding that Khalilzad would speak to a wide range of Afghans in Kabul, including government leaders.
On the other hand, the Taliban's spokesman in Doha Suhail Shaheen said on Saturday that a deal is near to be finalised but did not specify the obstacles blocking the conclusion of talks.
In an earlier tweet, Khalilzad had said he raised the Kunduz attack in talks, telling the Taliban that violence like this must stop.
He had also warned to take action again if an attack is launched.
“We’re going down to 8,600 and then we make a determination from there,” Trump said in an interview with Fox News radio on Thursday.
- Justice Qazi Faez Isa to hear contempt case against Fawad Chaudhry on ...10:36 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Pakistan cricket squad leaves for Zimbabwe after successful South ...10:05 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Pakistan, India foreign ministers may meet in UAE08:44 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Babar Azam’s ‘late glance’ shot is new sensation on social ...08:09 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Imran Abbas releases his rendition of Qaseedah Burdah Shareef05:59 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Mustafa Jaane Rehmat – Atif Aslam's naat crosses 1.6 million views ...05:48 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Hira and Mani celebrate 13th wedding anniversary05:41 PM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021
- Celebrities photoshopped with their younger selves11:41 AM | 9 Apr, 2021