Pakistani sisters reach home after 10 years of imprisonment in India
Fatima and Mumtaz were arrested along with their mother for allegedly smuggling narcotics into India in 2006. Their mother died in the prison in 2008.
Hina told Times of India that she wanted to be a doctor so she could help people. "My mother, aunt and grandmother were innocent and had to spend more than ten years in jail for no fault of theirs, it could be someone's mistake. If I become an officer, the chances are that I could also do some mistake but If I am a doctor then I will only be helping people so I want to be a doctor," Hina said.
Rashida along with her daughters Fatima and Mumtaz was arrested on May 8, 2006, at Attari international border after they were caught smuggling narcotics into India. The three of them were booked under Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances (NDPS) Act and sentenced to 10-and-a half years in jail.
The court had also slapped a fine of 0.2 Indian rupees each and in the case of non-payment of fine both of them had to serve another two years of imprisonment.
Rashida collapsed in in Amritsar Central Security jail on May 21, 2008, on her way to the court and died. Her mortal remains were handed over to Pakistan in June 2008. Their term ended in November 2016. A Batala based NGO Humanity Club deposited INR0.4 million slapped as fine on their behalf on April 2017.
Advocate Navjot Kaur Chabba who fought their case said that both Fatima and Mumtaz along with the 11-year-old will be handed over to Pakistan via Attari border on Thursday.
Besides them, nine Pakistani fishermen were also be handed over to Pakistani authorities at the border.
Indian and Pakistani fishermen are frequently detained for illegal fishing since the Arabian Sea border is not clearly defined and many boats lack the technology to fix their precise location.
- Mahira Khan’s new beach video goes viral07:28 PM | 19 Aug, 2022
- Imran Khan announces countrywide protests after 'sexual abuse' of ...06:54 PM | 19 Aug, 2022
- Mathira sets temperature soaring with new bold video06:30 PM | 19 Aug, 2022
- Pakistan ranks second worst on gender inequality10:55 PM | 13 Jul, 2022
- Pakistani celebrities who are performing Hajj 202210:16 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Films releasing in Pakistan on Eidul Adha 202211:51 PM | 5 Jul, 2022
- Pakistan’s largest city Karachi still among world’s least ...06:26 PM | 23 Jun, 2022