FIA busts Karachi gang involved in online car fraud
KARACHI – Federal Investigation Agency on Sunday arrested a member of a gang using an online marketplace to rob people in Karachi.
As per FIA Cybercrime Circle Additional Director Faizullah Korejo, a complaint was filed on August 25 against a group of members involved in fraud. The agency acted upon a complaint filed
FIR states that a group pretending to be representatives of car manufacturers had received payments in their bank accounts.
A man named Qureshi recognizes the key suspect as Imam. I have been a victim of these people and transferred over Rs10 million to their bank account,” the victim said.
He added that five more people had been working with him. The complainant also revealed their phone and bank account numbers.
According to a statement to the police, the victim had been looking to buy a car through a website when some people contacted him and introduced themselves as Azhar, Imran and Kashif.
The complainant said the men convinced him that they represented car manufacturers and asked him to transfer funds to their bank accounts for purchasing vehicles.
FIA Cybercrime Circle Additional Director said Qureshi had transferred Rs10.55 million in different bank accounts of the suspects, including Rs1 million in a single account, which was debit blocked by the inquiry officer.
Korejo said that a notice was issued to the account holder, namely Sher Muhammad Joyo, who came into the FIA office to answer their questions.
Joyo told them he was a respectable advocate practising at the city courts along with Advocate Ghulam Qasim Joyo. The lawyer said his client Azam Rehman Butt had transferred the said amount to his account as fee because he was on trial in a case registered at the Cybercrime Circle.
With the two advocates’ help, the FIA conducted a raid at a place near the city courts and arrested Butt. When he was questioned, the suspect admitted that the money was transferred through online fraud committed with the help of other people.
Faizullah Korejo, said the investigation had established that Butt and others had committed an offence, adding that a case had been registered against him and the others.
- Shaheen shines in Qalandars enthralling win against Kings11:55 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Indian man killed by own rooster during cockfight10:25 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- No Pakistani bowler, all-rounder among top players in latest ICC test ...09:34 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Petroleum prices will remain the same in March, confirms Finance ...08:08 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Myanmar military fires UN ambassador after anti-coup speech amid 7 ...07:21 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Osman Khalid Butt takes to social media after 'wedding' pics with ...05:41 PM | 28 Feb, 2021
- Lady Gaga's French dogs returned unharmed06:52 PM | 27 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021