UNHCR chief to arrive in Pakistan on three-day visit
During his visit, the High Commissioner will hold meetings with Pakistan government officials, attend various events, as well as visit Khyber Pakhtunkhwa where he will meet refugees and refugee families returning to Afghanistan, said a press release issued here Wednesday.
The High Commissioner will be accompanied by the UN Under-Secretary-General and Emergency Relief Coordinator, Mark Lowcock and UNHCR’s Director for Asia and Pacific, Indrika Ratwatte.
Before coming to Pakistan, the High Commissioner visited Iran and Afghanistan.
Iran’s efforts to give documents to Afghans in the country are positive and must be supported. They allow better access to health and education services, and greater chances of self-reliance. pic.twitter.com/IqCuHvUjSR— Filippo Grandi (@FilippoGrandi) September 3, 2018
Since 2002, around 4.3 million Afghan refugees have returned home from Pakistan with UNHCR’s assistance. The country still hosts some 1.4 million Afghan refugees. Some 67 per cent live in urban or rural areas, while 33 per cent reside in 54 refugee villages.
- ‘Ghabrana Nahi Hai’ – Kashif Zameer reassures Pakistanis of ...11:49 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan’s NSA rejects claims of back-channel diplomacy with India ...11:17 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Birthday of Islamic caliph Ali Ibn Abi Talib tomorrow10:00 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan to remain on FATF's grey list till June 202109:44 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Ali Xeeshan and wife Myra welcome first baby06:36 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Yasir Hussain opens up about his remarks on Nausheen Shah08:24 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021