Babar Awan indicted in Nandipur reference
Former prime minister Raja Pervaiz Ashraf was also indicted by the court in the reference that relates to the delay in the establishment of the power plant. Accountability court judge Arshad Malik pronounced the charge sheet against the accused.
The seven accused including former secretary law Masood Chishti, Riaz Kiyani, Dr Riaz Mehmood and former research consultant Shumaila Mehmood also pleaded not guilty to the charges following which the court decided to initiate a trial.
The accused have been accused of inflicting a damage worth Rs 27 billion to the national kitty by delaying the said project.
Babar Awan withdrew a petition seeking his acquittal in the Nandipur reference on Friday, citing the suggestion by his mother.
“I went to meet my mother in the morning. She said the law is supreme and we should follow it. I am listening to her because it’s Women’s Day,” he said.
The court had ordered all accused named in the case, including former prime minister Raja Pervaiz Ashraf, to appear before it for indictment.
Awan had served as the federal minister for law and justice in the cabinet of former prime minister Yousaf Raza Gillani when the project was delayed.
On September 4, last year Awan resigned as Prime Minister Imran Khan’s adviser on parliamentary affairs after the National Accountability Bureau filed a corruption reference against him.
- Gold price jumps Rs700 per tola in Pakistan10:00 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- ‘Video’ of PSL 2022 anthem featuring Atif Aslam, Aima Baig leaked ...09:10 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- U19 World Cup: Pakistan set 240-run target for Afghanistan08:46 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Noor Mukadam case: Zahir Jaffer declared ‘physically and mentally ...08:20 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- ‘Bismillah’ – Sharmila Faruqui files cybercrime complaint ...06:49 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- 'Kana Yaari' – Coke Studio's hijabi rapper Eva B wins hearts07:31 PM | 20 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021