Court orders traffic violator to display 'speed kills' placard at signal for 2 hours a week in Karachi
The verdict, announced by District East Judicial Magistrate Shaoib Elahi, read that the convict would hold a placard bearing the message: “Ahtiat kijye! Ghaflat aur laparwahi se gaari chalana jan lewa hai [Be careful! Driving negligently and carelessly can kill]” every Friday for two consecutive hours till October 11, 2018.
Not only that, the judge also specified that the placard’s size would be 24-inches wide and 48-inches in height.
The punishment was inflicted upon Muhammad Qasim as he was convicted of rashly riding a motorbike and injuring a police constable deployed for former president Gen (retd) Pervez Musharraf’s VVIP movement on September 27, 2015.
The prosecution told the judge that Qasim, while pillion riding with his accomplice, Muhammad Islam, rammed into Constable Zubair Ahmed near Tipu Sultan flyover on Shahrah-e-Faisal after he was directed to stop so that Musharraf’s convoy could pass.
During the hearing, five policemen testified against Qasim, telling the judge that the accused and his accomplice were riding against traffic from Baloch Colony Bridge towards the flyover when the convoy was passing.
According to the prosecution, when the motorcycle struck the constable, the riders also fell down and were immediately arrested while the policeman suffered a fracture in his leg.
Citing an order by the Supreme Court’s Justice Qazi Faez Isa about community service by offenders, the magistrate directed Qasim to pay Rs50,000 to the policeman in three instalments in three months besides 'placard' punishment.
Islam was also booked by police but the court acquitted him, observing that he was not responsible for the accident.
- Shaukat Khanum Cancer Hospital denies ‘misuse of donations’11:02 PM | 27 Jan, 2022
- Southern Command War Games: Pakistan Army chief visits Multan Garrison10:55 PM | 27 Jan, 2022
- Gold price drops by Rs550 per tola in Pakistan10:35 PM | 27 Jan, 2022
- India hosts first Central Asia summit with focus on Afghanistan10:19 PM | 27 Jan, 2022
- Bisconni music wraps up season 2 with brilliant performances from ...09:32 PM | 27 Jan, 2022
- Amna Ilyas slammed for wearing bold dress04:55 PM | 27 Jan, 2022
- Shehzad Roy's hilarious video breaks the internet06:59 PM | 27 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021