Cellphone service partially restored in occupied Kashmir after 10 weeks of lockdown
However, the internet is still unavailable both on mobile phone and fixed-line networks to the region's seven million-plus people. The decision to restore the cellphone service has been taken amid growing international pressure on Inida to ease people's sufferings.
India cut access to mobile networks in August when it repealed Article 370 of its constitution, stripping the valley of its semi-autonomous status and imposed curfew with communication blackout.
Since the Indian act, several hundred Kashmiri politicians, activists, lawyers and others have been arrested, mostly without charge.
According to Kashmir Media Service, main markets are shut and public transport is off the roads. Barring a few officials, no one is turning up to offices and educational institutions.
Some shops do open for few hours during morning and evening and also roadside vendors are seen on various places doing businesses, but they fail to cater to the needs of general public, it added
People are keeping their shops closed throughout the day and are not attending offices as an act of resistance against the Indian occupation and its Aug 5 unilateral action.
- Britain rejects Nawaz Sharif's request for visa extension08:23 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Russia and neighbours begin military drills on Afghanistan border07:58 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- PM Imran, CJP Gulzar take notice of mob attack on Hindu temple in RYK06:29 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Looking to upgrade your device on a budget? TECNO’s Spark 7 series ...05:01 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Kinza Hashmi opens up about dealing with relentless trolling04:18 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Alizeh Shah and Ali Rehman Khan to star in upcoming drama03:20 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Barbie debuts dolls in honour of real-life pandemic heroes02:50 PM | 5 Aug, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021