Unesco seeks details of Orange Line train project in Lahore
Reports said a Unesco team had also visited the Shalamar Gardens and the ongoing civil works being carried out nearby a few days back.
The Shalamar Gardens and the Lahore Fort fall in the world heritage property list.
The World Heritage Centre (cultural division of United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) had received a series of reports expressing concerns over the state of conservation of the Shalamar Gardens due to urban development project (Orange Line) being implemented in Lahore by the Punjab government.
Mechtilf Rossier, the director of World Heritage Centre, Unesco, Paris, had on Oct 29 written a letter to ambassador Ghalib Iqbal, a permanent delegate of Pakistan to Unseco, and directed him to contact the government and send details of the project, the Dawn reported.
He had also sought for halting the construction work in this regard.
“If the project is already continuing, I would like to recommend that the portion of the project in the vicinity of the world heritage property be halted forthwith until the advisory bodies review the submitted relevant information and an evaluation on the proposed metro train project,” the Unesco director demands in the letter.
- PDM workers storm Multan stadium ahead of Nov 30 rally11:49 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- OIC adopts Pakistan-sponsored resolution against Islamophobia11:36 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- Mike Tyson returns to ring (Face-off VIDEO)11:22 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- #JusticeForKainat: AJK student found dead in Islamabad11:09 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- CokeStudio 2020 lineup revealed06:10 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- Zindagi Tamasha – Pakistan's first Oscar submission04:22 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- Maryam Nafees tests positive for coronavirus12:01 PM | 28 Nov, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020