Who will be next president of PML-N? Party sources reveal name
On Wednesday, a three-member bench, headed by Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar, ruled: “An individual disqualified under Articles 62 and 63 cannot serve as party head”.
Following the verdict of the Supreme Court, the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) issued a notification removing the name of the former prime minister as PML-N’s president.
Election Act 2017 case: Supreme Court ... 05:56 PM | 21 Feb, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Chief Justice of Pakistan Mian Saqib Nisar on Wednesday ruled that ousted prime minister Nawaz Sharif ...
Sources told Daily Pakistan that some party leaders are of the view that Punjab Chief Minister Shehbaz Sharif, who is also seen as next prime minister candidate from PML-N, should be given the reins of the party.
On the other hand, some sources close to Nawaz Sharif claimed that he will nominate his wife Kulsoom Nawaz as next president of the PML-N. Kulsoom Nawaz has been undergoing cancer treatment in London for the past several months.
Analysts are also of the view that former first lady would be next PML-N president as this move help embattled Nawaz Sharif to keep the indirect grip on his party. They said that the influence of the former minister on party decisions will remain strong even after Kulsoom’s nomination.
Kulsoom Nawaz also bagged victory in the by-election held in NA-120, a constituency fell vacant following the disqualification of Nawaz as prime minister of Pakistan in the Panamagate verdict.
Nawaz Sharif, who has been ousted three times, can no longer hold any public or party office after the apex court deemed him unfit on July 28th for concealing his employment with Capital FZE, a firm owned by his younger son Hassan.
However, the ruling party introduced an amendment in the Election Bill 2017 allowing any disqualified legislator to hold party office.
The legislation sailed through Senate and National Assembly and was endorsed by the President Mamnoon Hussain as well following which it became a law.
Later, the amendment was challanged by Awami Muslim League (AML), Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) and other political parties as well as groups of lawyers.
- U19 CWC: Haseebullah, Awais Ali shine as Pakistan beat Zimbabwe by ...09:53 AM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan's Covid cases cross 5,000-mark for the first time since ...09:28 AM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Today's currency exchange rates in Pakistan - Dollar, Euro, Pound, ...09:08 AM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Today's gold rates in Pakistan — 18 January 202208:41 AM | 18 Jan, 2022
- Gold price surges by Rs50 per tola in Pakistan10:54 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Nora Fatehi flaunts her ultra glam look in latest clicks05:34 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Sania Mirza all praise for the lovely bond between Anushka Sharma and ...07:30 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Ayesha Omar spotted enjoying vacations in Dubai04:53 PM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021