SC expresses dismay over continued absence of AGP in Faizabad sit-in case
During the hearing of the case on Thursday, a two-judge bench headed by Justice Mushir Alam and comprising Justice Isa asked the deputy attorney general about the AGP to which they were informed that the official was attending a meeting of the Economic Coordination Committee (ECC).
To this, Justice Isa questioned whether the AGP was an economic expert asking further about his credentials to be a part of the ECC meeting.
'Is the AGP, the biggest law officer of the state or the prime minister’s personal servant?' inquired the judge.
Justice Isa remarked that the court was issuing a contempt of court notice and added that the official and all judges are the servants of the state.
SC terms ISI’s report on Faizabad sit-in ... 03:30 PM | 19 Mar, 2018
ISLAMABAD - The supreme court of Pakistan questioned the effectiveness of country's premier intelligence agency ISI in ...
He also questioned whether the prime minister was above the Supreme Court as well?.
"The prime minister asked him and he went off. The AGP should have excused himself and informed the premier that he has to appear before the court," remarked the judge.
The Supreme Court had taken up the Faizabad sit-in case and had issued an interim order on Tuesday, directing the secretary of the ECP to be in attendance on the next date of hearing; the apex court had taken suo motu notice of the sit-in staged by TLP leaders and activists at the Faizabad Interchange.
The order also 'expected' AGP to come prepared to attend to the matters noted herein as well those in earlier orders.
The three-week long sit-in, which had virtually paralysed the federal capital, was called off on November 27 after protesters reached an agreement with the government according to which then Law Minister Zahid Hamid also tendered resignation - a demand put forth by the protesters for the controversial amendment in the Election Act 2017.
- PTA slaps Jazz with Rs30 million fine over poor network quality11:52 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- One dead, several injured as police baton-charge MQM-P protesters in ...11:23 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Indian-origin Google CEO booked over unauthorised uploading of ...10:51 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- ‘SDG Investment Report 2021’ – FM Qureshi unveils Pakistan’s ...10:21 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Gold price jumps Rs500 per tola in Pakistan09:40 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Rihanna donates $15 million to climate justice04:22 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Atif Aslam praises wife Sara's 'sense of style' for picking his PSL 7 ...08:50 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Feroze Khan gears up for his first English rap single03:26 PM | 26 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021