Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy to receive International Journalism Award in Washington
WASHINGTON - Pakistan’s award-winning filmmaker Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy will be honoured with the ICFJ Knight Journalism Award next month at ICFJ’s Awards Dinner, hosted by CNN anchor Wolf Blitzer in Washington .
The International Centre for Journalists (ICFJ) recognised Obaid-Chinoy’s decades-long career, which led to a legislative change in her home country of Pakistan .
“I began writing for newspapers in Pakistan when I was 14 years old and produced my first documentary film at the age of 21. Throughout my career I have strived to investigate stories that make people deeply uncomfortable, in the hope that they will spark conversations that will eventually lead to changes in attitudes,” said Obaid-Chinoy.
A two-time Oscar winner, she is best known for her 2015 documentary A Girl in the River, which took on the issue of honour killings in Pakistan and led parliament to pass a law criminalising honour killings.
Karam Al-Masri will be honoured for his work in photographing war-torn Aleppo.
“At great personal risk, Obaid-Chinoy and Al Masri faced terrorism head-on, getting behind the scenes to chronicle untold abuses,” said ICFJ President Joyce Barnathan, in a statement.
- Govt to spend more than Rs30b on higher education this year, says ...11:57 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Youth-led projects showcased in Student Leaders Conference08:41 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Infinix, CarlCare join hands with M&P to provide unmatched after-sale ...08:26 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Mehwish Hayat says Pervez Musharraf deserves a chance to be heard02:30 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Kate Middleton thanks Maheen Khan with sweet note02:06 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Humayun Saeed shares an all smile picture with brothers01:39 PM | 6 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019