LHC allows Imran Khan, other MPs to lead election campaign in by-polls
The court, while hearing a petition filed by PTI's Shoaib Siddiqui, suspended a notification of Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) that prohibited members of parliament from leading election campaigns in by-polls.
The court order further said that government cannot announce development projects in any constituency where by-polls are scheduled to be held.
PTI chief Imran Khan greeted the decision announcing electioneering in NA-122 by-polls. He said the court has overruled the undemocratic rule of ECP that was specifically made to keep me out of by-elections.
I will campaign in NA 122. LHC has overruled ECP's undemocratic elec rule specifically made to keep me out of campaigning in bye- elections
— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) September 23, 2015
Following the development the PTI spokesperson Naeem-ul-Haq welcomed the court order saying that government has been try to keep Imran Khan out of electioneering but LHC has given a historic verdict. PML-N will meet defeat in upcoming by-election no matter how much government resources they use, he said.
Earlier on Monday Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI) moved Lahore High Court (LHC) against the decision of the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) that barred heads of political parties and members of parliament from taking part in election campaigns in by-polls.
In the petition PTI had prayed to the court that barring the party chiefs from election campaign does not come under the jurisdiction of the ECP, and that court should declare the order as null and void.
Under the ECP code of conduct Members of the Parliament were not allowed to take part in election campaigns in by-poll. However, Imran Khan was of the view that heads of political parties should be allowed to address rallies in this regard.
Addressing the party workers in Lahore the PTI chief said Election Commission’s code of conduct that forbids every member parliament from electioneering in by-polls must be limited to Prime Minister and provincial chief ministers only.
“I am head of PTI and do not hold any public office, hence I cannot influence the by-elections,” he maintained. As head of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf it is my responsibility to convey my party’s manifesto to public, he added.
- Pakistan up 31 places in Trading Across Border Index04:02 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Infinix Hot 10 Play with 6000mAh battery is up for pre-orders12:57 PM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Sindh Wildlife Dept rescues two blind Indus dolphins near Rohri canal ...11:52 AM | 19 Jan, 2021
- Watch – Why Hareem Shah slapped Mufti Abdul Qavi?08:23 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Nora Fatehi 'had fun last night' with Turkish chef Burak in Dubai ...07:29 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Mahira Khan recovers from COVID-19 infection, announces return to TV ...04:41 PM | 18 Jan, 2021
- Stars who turned down plastic surgery07:32 PM | 17 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021