PM Imran rules out possibility of any talks with India till curfew in IoK lifted
NEW YORK - Prime Minister Imran Khan has urged the United Nations (UN) and the international community to push India into lifting the ongoing curfew in occupied Kashmir under which some eight million people are languishing for the past 51 days.
Addressing a news conference along with Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi and Pakistan's Permanent Representative to the UN Dr Maleeha Lodhi in New York, the prime minister warned the situation could get worse if urgent efforts were not made to resolve the crisis.
Expressing his disappointment over the international community’s attitude, the prime minister said there are eleven Security Council resolutions that recognize Kashmir as a disputed region and it is not an internal matter of India.
He said Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has now boxed himself into a blind alley by his August 5 decision to revoke the special status of held Kashmir, with no way out, and a whole population turned against India.
Prime Minister said any conflict between nuclear-armed neighbours would not be confined to the South Asian region, adding that the whole world will be affected.
He said India today is governed by a racist, Hindu supremacist group, Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh, responsible for assassinating Mahatma Gandhi and two thousand Muslims were butchered in Gujarat when Modi was the chief minister.
Imran Khan said in India, minorities including Muslims and Christians were not safe and were treated as inferior citizens.
Replying to a question regarding possible mediation efforts by Pakistan in the Gulf crisis, he said President Trump asked me if we could be helpful in deescalating the evolving situation in the region.
- Imran Ghazali appointed as head of information ministry’s digital ...11:46 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Afghan President Ghani phones PM Imran, discusses peace talks, ...09:34 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Three arrested in Faisalabad for displaying weapons on social media ...08:19 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Trump gives 45 days to Microsoft for acquiring TikTok07:21 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Nothing Like Everything: Ayyan Ali announces first-ever music album04:56 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Filmmakers around the world take to part in Iran’s Resistance Film ...10:27 AM | 3 Aug, 2020
- Hamza Ali Abbasi, Naimal Khawar Khan blessed with a baby boy12:37 PM | 3 Aug, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020