Pakistan elected as vice president of UN Economic and Social Council
NEW YORK - The Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) of the United Nations (UN) has unanimously elected Pakistan’s Ambassador to UN, Maleeha Lodhi, as one of its four vice presidents.
Ambassador Lodhi’s election was endorsed by 54 members of the Asia Pacific Group, the Radio Pakistan reports on Friday.
Pakistan has just been elected as Vice President of the UN’s Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC ) We are humbled and delighted by this unanimous decision of the 54-member body. Earlier, my candidature was endorsed by 53 members of the Asia-Pacific Group. pic.twitter.com/VD2auIxza5
— Maleeha Lodhi (@LodhiMaleeha) July 25, 2019
She will now assume the Asia Pacific seat in the Bureau of ECOSOC, a principal organ of the UN-mandated to deliberate on socio-economic and development agenda of the world body.
Talking to reporters after the vote, Ambassador Lodhi said that her election to such an important organ demonstrates the faith of the international community in Pakistan and the competence of its diplomats.
- IMF predicts recovery in Pakistan's economy during 202112:12 AM | 11 Jul, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 245,000 cases of coronavirus – 5,105 confirmed ...11:08 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- School of Tomorrow – The world’s premier schools & societies ...10:11 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- PM Imran intervenes as PIA suffers setbacks over license scandal09:53 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Punjab’s youngest MPA Sania Ashiq tests positive for coronavirus08:53 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Actress Naya Rivera presumed dead after disappearance on boat trip ...01:41 PM | 10 Jul, 2020
- Meghan Markle, Priyanka Chopra, Michelle Obama to speak at UN's ...11:55 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- I will not no longer do item songs in films: Sadaf Sabzwari11:45 AM | 10 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020