Nawaz Sharif appears before accountability court as hearing of graft references resumes
ISLAMABAD - Former prime minister Nawaz Sharif was brought to the accountability court in Islamabad from the Adiala Jail on Monday amid a tight surveillance.
The former premier appeared before the judge Arshad Malik who is hearing the corruption references regarding Al-Azizia steel mills and Flagship investment, filed by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB) in line with the directives of the Supreme Court in the Panama Papers case.
Interestingly, the former premier requested that he be allowed to drink tea at a stall outside the court as the hearing was delayed for an hour as Nawaz's counsel Khawaja Harris was at the Supreme Court.
Nawaz's request was rejected but PML-N leader Nasir Butt brought tea for the former premier at the court. However, there was no space in the staff room for the PML-N leaders, they turned towards the courtroom but were told that the food and drinks are not allowed in the courtroom. Thus, Nawaz's wish remained unfulfilled.
The court summoned Wajid Zia who headed the six-men Joint Investigation team (JIT), that probed the offshore dealings of the former ruling family.
Sharif's counsel, Khawaja Haris cross-examined Wajid Zia today.
Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz leaders including former information minister Pervaiz Rasheed, Senator Mushahid Hussain Syed and Barrister Zafarullah were also in the court.
Meanwhile, the judge also moved an application before the Supreme Court seeking an extension in the deadline set for winding up the references.
This is the fifth application moved by the court, however, the top court would decide whether to grant an extension or not.
- I take a break whenever the noise in my head reaches its peak: Zaira ...11:27 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan summons senior Indian envoy over expulsion of 2 officials on ...11:21 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Students of grade 1-12 will be promoted without taking exams: Sindh ...10:52 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 72,460 cases of coronavirus – 1,5 43 confirmed ...10:10 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan has cheapest fuel cost in South Asia, says PM Iman11:56 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Shahroz Sabzwari, Sadaf Kanwal tie the knot amid COVID-1908:09 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Raising a daughter is a huge responsibility: Humaima Malick05:08 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020