Supreme Court grants six weeks for winding up pending corruption references against Sharifs
ISLAMABAD - The Supreme Court of Pakistan granted six weeks to the accountability court to conclude the pending graft references filed against the former prime minister Nawaz Sharif and his family members.
A three-member bench comprising Chief Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, Justice Umar Atta Bandial and Justice Ijaz ul Ahsan heard the plea on Monday.
The counsel for Sharif family, Khawaja Haris had asked for a three months time to conclude the references pertaining to the Al Azizia Steel Mills and Flagship Investment filed by the National Accountability Bureau (NAB).
However, the apex court turned down the plea and set a six weeks time to conclude the references filed in line with the top court's verdict in the Panama Papers Case.
'We don't want to interfere in the proceedings of the accountability court, however, the time sought for extension is too much which cannot be granted,' remarked the chief justice.
On the other hand, the former premier appeared before the accountability court in the same references where his counsel would cross-examine Wajid Zia, the head of the six-men Joint Investigation team. The elder Sharif was shifted from the Adiala jail under tight surveillance.
Nawaz Sharif appears before accountability court ... 09:24 AM | 27 Aug, 2018
ISLAMABAD - Former prime minister Nawaz Sharif was brought to the accountability court in Islamabad from the Adiala ...
Nawaz Sharif had been sentenced to 10 years jail term on corruption charges in the Avenfield corruption reference in July by the accountability court judge Muhammad Bashir.
His daughter Maryam Nawaz was ordered to spend 7 years behind bars and son-in-law Captain (retd) Safdar was jailed for one year in the reference pertaining to the upscale London flats.
The names of the trio have already been placed on the Exit Control List (ECL) by the Imran Khan-led government as well, effectively barring any of their offshore visits.
- Students of grade 1-12 will be promoted without taking exams: Sindh ...10:52 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan surpasses 72,460 cases of coronavirus – 1,5 43 confirmed ...10:10 AM | 1 Jun, 2020
- Pakistan has cheapest fuel cost in South Asia, says PM Iman11:56 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Two Pakistan High commission officials asked to leave India in 24 ...10:40 PM | 31 May, 2020
- ‘History in Making’ — Pakistani plane flies directly to US for ...10:07 PM | 31 May, 2020
- Raising a daughter is a huge responsibility: Humaima Malick05:08 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Zaira Wasim deactivates social media accounts over trolling03:41 PM | 30 May, 2020
- Kylie Jenner is not a billionaire, says Forbes03:09 PM | 30 May, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020