Seven including Chinese national indicted in donkey hides' case
The judge of a special court of Customs, excise and taxation read out the charges against the accused Tu Zhong Xiao, Ihtisham Ahmed, his wife Afshan, Daniyal, Jumman, Faisal and Zeeshan Patras who were arrested in April this year.
The prosecution said that the hides were brought from Lahore for transportation to China, where the animal skins were being used in traditional Chinese medicines, adding that a total of 4,736 hides packed in 592 bags, with each bag containing eight hides of the animal, were seized from their possession after a raid at Gulistan-i-Jauhar.
However, the accused pleaded not guilty and opted to contest the case after which the court summoned the witnesses with direction to record their evidence on Oct 4.
It bears mentioning that the price of each hide in the international market stood at Rs25,000, thus the estimated worth of the seized hides stood at over Rs118m according to estimates by the prosecution.
- Sushant Singh Rajput's death confirmed as ‘suicide’ on first ...07:04 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- National Foods attracts overseas Pakistanis with Brainchild ...06:41 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- FM Qureshi, Russia’s Lavrove emphasise on strong Islamabad-Moscow ...06:36 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Budget 2021-22: Punjab proposes tax cut on 10 businesses06:12 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Budget 2021-22: PTI-led Punjab govt proposes 10% increase in ...05:34 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Producer of Christchurch mosque attack movie resigns after backlash05:02 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Meesha Shafi becomes certified yoga instructor04:20 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- Ushna Shah and Juveria Abbasi enjoy beach day out03:05 PM | 14 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021