PM Imran Khan mourns his teacher's death
LAHORE – Prime Minister Imran Khan's teacher and the former Principal of Langlands School Chitral, Major (r) Geoffrey Douglas Langlands passed away on Wednesday (today) at the age of 101 in Lahore.
"Saddened to learn of the passing of my teacher. Apart from being our teacher, he instilled the love for trekking and our northern areas in me - before the KKH was built. (I was 12 years old in the school picture)," PM Khan said in a condolence tweet.
Saddened to learn of the passing of my teacher. Apart from being our teacher, he instilled the love for trekking and our northern areas in me - before the KKH was built. (I was 12 years old in the school picture) pic.twitter.com/cgH4glWIDR— Imran Khan (@ImranKhanPTI) January 2, 2019
On October 21 last year, the premier had extended his wishes on 101st birthday of Langlands and posted a picture on Facebook.
Wishing my teacher at Aitchison College Major Geoffrey Douglas Langlands a very happy 101st BirthdayPosted by Imran Khan (official) on Sunday, October 21, 2018
Langlands was born on October 21, 1917, in Yorkshire England. After the Second World War broke out in 1939, he joined the British Army and volunteered for services in the Indian Army. When British India witnessed independence he was transferred to the Pakistan Army, which he willingly accepted.
He was holding the rank of a major when he retired. On the request of former president Ayub, Khan he stayed in Pakistan and was given a job at Aitchison College in 1954. In 1974, he was made the headmaster of Prep School.
In 1979, he was appointed as principal to Razmak Cadet College. He served there till 1989 and took over as principal of Sayurj Public School, Chitral, which was at its initial stages.
Langlands developed the school, expanded it, purchased land for it and made constructions thereon after raising funds for it.
The school was renamed after him and is now called the Langlands School and College, Chitral. Langlands served as the principal till the age of 95.
Langlands was honoured with Sitara-i-Imtiaz, Hilal-i-Imtiaz, Order of St. Michael and St. George, Order the of British Empire and OBE by the Queen of England for his lifelong contribution to humanity and education.
- US peace envoy Khalilzad updates Pakistan's FM Qureshi about talks ...08:46 PM | 13 Dec, 2019
- Lawyers' vandalism causes damage of Rs70 million to cardiology ...07:22 PM | 13 Dec, 2019
- PM Imran felicitates UK's Boris Johnson over resounding election ...06:46 PM | 13 Dec, 2019
- Tremendous response by the customers on Infinix 12.12 grand sale05:09 PM | 13 Dec, 2019
- Thank you so much for 3 million followers: Imran Abbas04:53 PM | 13 Dec, 2019
- Matrix 4 to clash with John Wick 4 as both films get same release date04:33 PM | 13 Dec, 2019
- Faysal Quraishi raises Rs 3 million for charity01:56 PM | 13 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019
- Azadi March: Chaudhry brothers active for compromise talks as Fazl ...12:08 AM | 5 Nov, 2019
- 8 Reasons to buy HONOR 8 Series04:49 PM | 23 Oct, 2019
- Meet members of Pakistan’s first-ever National Youth Council05:05 PM | 1 Jul, 2019