PML-N may lose another seat as ECP mulls re-election over low women turnout
A summary seeking a re-poll in NA-10 (Shangla) and NA-48 (North Waziristan) has been forwarded to the commission on the basis of the fact that the number of votes cast by women in the constituencies fall below the benchmark 10 percent of the registered votes.
In NA-10 (Shangla), Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz' Ibadullah Khan had secured 34,070 votes and was declared a winner, however, only 12,663 women from the total registered 162,049 female voters turned up to vote which was less than 10pc of the total votes.
PLM-N demands judicial inquiry into 'poll rigging' 10:50 AM | 30 Jul, 2018
LAHORE – Former ruling party Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) has demanded the formation of a judicial commission ...
Similarly, in NA-48, the total number of registered voters was 274,205 but only 6,364 (8.19 pc) women turned up to vote. The seat was won by an independent candidate Mohsin Javed - who remained associated with Pashtun Tahafuz Movement - by securing 16,496 votes defeating the PTI’s Aurangzeb Khan.
There were many other constituencies where the turnout for women voters remained low, but above the yardstick of 10pc of the total vote.
Currently, Pakistan Muslim League Nawaz has 64 seats at the federal level, however, if the summary is approved, the tally would fall to 63.
- Lal Masjid cleric Abdul Aziz booked for using TTP's name to threaten ...09:53 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- PM’s aide Shahzad Akbar tests positive for Covid-1909:24 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Pakistani, Canadian FMs discuss Afghanistan in phone call09:10 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Sindh govt to pay for treatment of Pakistan’s second tallest man08:50 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- Pakistani celebs express disappointment after NZ tour called off05:30 PM | 18 Sep, 2021
- ‘Dafaa Hojao Tum’ — Resham set to star in Faseeh Bari Khan's ...04:59 PM | 18 Sep, 2021