Pakistani travellers left cash strapped as major banks close international transactions
In a text message sent to customers, the banks informed, “Due to system maintenance and security precaution your debit card has been temporarily disabled for international ATM cash withdrawal, POS and e-commerce.”
The new development left thousands of Pakistani bank customers, who are travelling or residing abroad, in the lurch.
However, customers can use their debit cards for local transactions and they can also re-activate overseas transactions by calling the respective helpline on their own risk.
Last week, the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) had issued instructions regarding bank cards after a cyber-attack on Bank Islami Pakistan.
Bank Islami's $6 million stolen in Pakistan's ... 01:10 PM | 29 Oct, 2018
ISLAMABAD - A staggering $6 million were reportedly stolen from the accounts of Pakistan's Bank Islami, in what ...
The alleged security breach first came to light when customers of the bank received automated messages about their payment cards being used in different countries including Russia.
According to SBP, the use of the bank's cards had been temporarily suspended for overseas transactions after the attack.
"As a result of the security breach of payment cards of one of the banks in Pakistan yesterday and their unauthorized use on different delivery channels i.e. at ATMs and POS in different countries, the bank has temporarily restricted usage of its cards for overseas transactions," the central bank had said in a statement.
Moreover, the central bank had further issued directives to all banks in Pakistan to ensure Security measures on all IT systems including those related to card operations.
- Major university in Islamabad closed down after Covid-19 positive ...11:49 PM | 26 Oct, 2020
- ‘Wedding celebrations’ — Video of Kashmala Tariq dancing to ...11:07 PM | 26 Oct, 2020
- Pakistan to propose March 15 declared as Int’l Day against ...09:26 PM | 26 Oct, 2020
- Punjab decides to raise wheat support price to Rs160008:46 PM | 26 Oct, 2020
- Turkish President Erdogan urges boycott of French products07:49 PM | 26 Oct, 2020
- Undefeated UFC fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov announces retirement after ...10:31 AM | 25 Oct, 2020
- Scarlett Johansson to star in 'Bride' for Apple, A2404:06 PM | 24 Oct, 2020
- IN PICS: Sana Javed, Umair Jaswal share unseen shots of their Nikkah03:08 PM | 24 Oct, 2020
- FIA arrests ‘RAW spy’ involved in target killings, bombings from ...04:14 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- PM Imran slams France's Macron for deliberately provoking Muslims02:46 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- 15 men gang-raped, filmed teenage sisters in Punjab02:16 PM | 25 Oct, 2020
- Karachi police chief tests positive for coronavirus01:21 PM | 25 Oct, 2020