Pakistani travellers left cash strapped as major banks close international transactions
In a text message sent to customers, the banks informed, “Due to system maintenance and security precaution your debit card has been temporarily disabled for international ATM cash withdrawal, POS and e-commerce.”
The new development left thousands of Pakistani bank customers, who are travelling or residing abroad, in the lurch.
However, customers can use their debit cards for local transactions and they can also re-activate overseas transactions by calling the respective helpline on their own risk.
Last week, the State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) had issued instructions regarding bank cards after a cyber-attack on Bank Islami Pakistan.
Bank Islami's $6 million stolen in Pakistan's ... 01:10 PM | 29 Oct, 2018
ISLAMABAD - A staggering $6 million were reportedly stolen from the accounts of Pakistan's Bank Islami, in what ...
The alleged security breach first came to light when customers of the bank received automated messages about their payment cards being used in different countries including Russia.
According to SBP, the use of the bank's cards had been temporarily suspended for overseas transactions after the attack.
"As a result of the security breach of payment cards of one of the banks in Pakistan yesterday and their unauthorized use on different delivery channels i.e. at ATMs and POS in different countries, the bank has temporarily restricted usage of its cards for overseas transactions," the central bank had said in a statement.
Moreover, the central bank had further issued directives to all banks in Pakistan to ensure Security measures on all IT systems including those related to card operations.
- CS:GO tournament Red Bull Flick finally lands in Pakistan05:13 PM | 3 Dec, 2020
- PM Imran launches financial support program for special persons05:06 PM | 3 Dec, 2020
- Ex-PM Zafarullah Jamali buried amid prayers in Balochistan04:54 PM | 3 Dec, 2020
- Iqra Aziz nominated Best TV Actress for Lux Style Awards10:19 PM | 2 Dec, 2020
- Netflix to create Korean version of Money Heist09:19 PM | 2 Dec, 2020
- Behroze Sabzwari tests positive for COVID-1907:59 PM | 2 Dec, 2020
- Three games run better on Xbox Series X compared to PS509:56 AM | 26 Nov, 2020
- Celebs turning 60 in 202007:48 PM | 24 Nov, 2020
- 10 Richest Actresses of All Time09:20 PM | 23 Nov, 2020
- Karachi among 10 cheapest cities to live in 202006:12 PM | 19 Nov, 2020