US defence chief Mattis reaches Pakistan to find 'common grounds'
ISLAMABAD - US Defence Secretary James Mattis on Monday reached Pakistan on a one-day crucial visit with an aim to find “more common ground" with Pakistan for settling Afghan conflict and war against terrorists.
The officials from Ministry of Defence and Ministry of Affairs received the US defence chief at Noor Khan Airbase upon arrival.
The maiden visit since holding the office as Pentagon chief is part of recent engagements between Pakistan and the United States to tackle the current stalemate.
Mattis embarked his five-day visit on Friday "to re-affirm the enduring U.S. commitment to partnerships in the Middle East, West Africa and South Asia".
After visiting Egypt and Jordan, Mattis would hold crucial meetings with Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi and Chief of Army Staff (COAS) Gen Qamar Bajwa for the discussion on regional security, peace, Afghan conflict and other bilateral issues.
No Plan to Prod Pakistan
“That’s not the way I deal with issues,” Mattis said. “I believe that we [can] work hard on finding common ground and then we work together.”
The US has long been accused of Pakistan for providing shelter to terrorists as in a recent policy announced by President Donald Trump regarding the South Asia. Trump had ramped up pressure on Pakistan for sheltering "agents of chaos, violence, and terror".
'Put pressure on Pakistan,' Trump's new Afghan ... 08:56 AM | 22 Aug, 2017
WASHINGTON - US President Donald Trump, on Monday unleashed his policy of ramping up pressure on Pakistan, a close ally ...
"There's plenty of collaborative areas, right now, still in effect. There have been some areas that we have lost over the years, because of disagreements about what we need to do," he said.
Reiterating Trump's call for destroying safe havens, he said: "The US remains committed to a pragmatic relationship that expands cooperation on shared interests".
The December tour of Mattis is pivotal in the backdrop of US President Donald Trump’s ‘harsh’ South-Asia policy announced in August that virtually accused Pakistan of providing safe havens to terrorists, despite Islamabad’s consistent denials.
After visiting Pakistan , his final stop will be in Kuwait Tuesday, where he will meet with Kuwaiti Emir Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah.
Rex Tillerson’s Visit
US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson visited Pakistan during the last week of October and called on Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi, Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa and other high-ranking officials.
During a short part of the meeting available to media, Tillerson told the Pakistani delegation that the nuclear-armed nation was an important US ally in the region.
- Iran ready to talks with Saudi Arabia, Gulf countries: Javad Zarif12:02 AM | 19 Jan, 2020
- Imran Khan discusses digital media with youth at PM House09:59 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- AJK snowfall: Neelum, Leepa, Bhedi declared calamity-hit areas09:50 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FO summons Indian diplomat to reject mischievous portrayal of ...08:58 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- FM Qureshi reaches Qatar after conclusion of successful US visit08:51 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Jonas Brothers drop new video featuring their wives02:38 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- Ahmed Ali Butt shares a star-studded selfie and we love it!01:47 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- 60-year-old held for swindling men online using niece’s picture01:30 PM | 18 Jan, 2020
- OGRA recommends hike in petroleum prices for January 202006:54 PM | 30 Dec, 2019
- Pakistan asks UNMOGIP to brief UNSC on Kashmir situation07:21 PM | 29 Dec, 2019
- 2020 will be year of development, prosperity: Firdous04:01 PM | 28 Dec, 2019
- Zameen.com launches new Plot Finder tool to facilitate online plot ...07:25 PM | 22 Nov, 2019