Pakistan's population crosses 207 million, official statistics show
Federal Minister for Statistics Kamran Michael on Thursday chaired a session on sixth census conducted last year.
According to the official data:
In Punjab, 110,012,442 people live in 87,006 blocks
In Sindh, 47,886,051 people live in 39,139 blocks
In Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, 30,523,371 live in 21,577 blocks
In Balochistan, 12,344,408 people live in 10,207 blocks
In Islamabad, 2,006,572 people live in 1,514 blocks
In Fata, 5,001,676 people live in 4,098 blocks
During the briefing, Kamran Michael said that all the necessary records related to the census should be provided to the Election Commission. He hoped that the Commission will soon complete work on delimitation on the basis of census records.
Sixth most populous nation
According to the Word Bank, Pakistan is the sixth most populous country following China, India, USA, Indonesia and Brazil.
The country's population was just over 130 million in 1998, the year when the 5th census had been conducted. The compound annual growth rate for the population since 1998 turns out to be 2.4pc, well above the global average. Female population is 101.3 million or 48.76pc.
The sixth population census in Pakistan was carried out by the Pakistan Bureau of Statistics (PBS) earlier this year after a gap of nearly two decades. The government had deployed nearly 118,000 officials escorted by tens of thousands of troops and police to carry out the 70-day data-gathering drive in March launched on the orders of the Supreme Court.
- Chinese retailer Shein issues an apology for profiting off Muslim ...04:17 PM | 7 Jul, 2020
- KSA indicates health standards as primary criteria for Hajj pilgrims03:10 PM | 7 Jul, 2020
- LHC extends Shehbaz Sharif's bail in assets beyond means case02:09 PM | 7 Jul, 2020
- Usman Mukhtars short film 'Bench' wins at South Shore Film Festival ...01:32 PM | 7 Jul, 2020
- Sushant Singh Rajput's fan honors the late actor by naming a star ...12:44 PM | 7 Jul, 2020
- When Is Eid Al Fitr 2020? ... So The Curiosity Begins!06:42 PM | 12 May, 2020
- Top five health benefits of eating watermelon04:08 PM | 7 May, 2020
- How to lose weight during Ramadan Kareem03:18 PM | 28 Apr, 2020
- Ramadan 2020: Keep yourself healthy with these 5 nutritional tips12:49 PM | 23 Apr, 2020