Indian village plants 111 trees every time a girl is born
Given that an average of 60 girls are born each year, the villagers have managed to plant over 250,000 trees so far - including varieties like Neem, Indian Rosewood, and Mango. The community of 8,000 residents is also dedicated to making sure that the trees survive and attain fruition as the girls grow up.
The beautiful tradition was started by the village’s former ‘sarpanch’(head) Shyam Sundar Paliwal, in the memory of his daughter Kiran, who passed away a few years ago. Apart from planting trees, a special committee also identifies families that are reluctant to accept girl children. They then collect Rs21,000 ($336) from village residents, and Rs10,000 ($160) from the girl’s father - and invest this money in a 20-year government bond to ensure financial security for the child.
And there’s more! “We make these parents sign an affidavit promising that they would not marry her off before the legal age, send her to school regularly, and take care of the trees planted in her name,” Paliwal said.
In order to ensure that the trees remain free from termite infestations, the residents of Piplantri have also planted over 2.5 million Aloe Vera plants around them. The trees, along with the Aloe Vera plants, have become a major source of livelihood for the villagers.
“Gradually, we realised that Aloe Vera could be processed and marketed in a variety of ways,” Paliwal explained. “So we invited some experts and asked them to train our women. Now residents make and market Aloe Vera products like gel, pickle, etc.”
The village of Piplantri promotes the spirit of community in other ways too - they have their own website, and a special studio-recorded anthem as well. They’ve completely banned alcohol, open grazing of animals, and the cutting of trees. The residents seem to be a happy lot, and claim that there haven’t been any crimes reported in the past seven to eight years.
- Pakistan’s NSA Moeed Yusuf to visit Afghanistan to discuss ...11:49 AM | 17 Jan, 2022
- PM Imran to launch Pakistan Digital City Technology Zone in Haripur ...11:21 AM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Aima Baig confronts man who flashed middle finger at her in Lahore ...10:46 AM | 17 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan takes decision on schools' closure today amid alarming rise ...09:51 AM | 17 Jan, 2022
- 'It was a difficult time for us, especially Zara!' Asad Siddiqui ...10:10 PM | 16 Jan, 2022
- Anushka Sharma pens emotional note for Virat Kohli as he steps down ...06:13 PM | 16 Jan, 2022
- Who has scored most runs in Pakistan Super League? Here’s list of ...01:52 PM | 15 Jan, 2022
- Where does Pakistan stand in world's most powerful passport list in ...11:27 AM | 13 Jan, 2022
- Pakistan’s Top News Moments of 202110:47 PM | 31 Dec, 2021
- Famous Figures We Lost in 202107:03 PM | 31 Dec, 2021