Governor Sindh visits K-Electric’s BQPS-iii power plant, reviews swift progress of unit one
KARACHI – Governor Sindh Imran Ismail visited K-Electric's Bin Qasim Power Station-III (BQPS-III) project to review the progress on the latest addition to Karachi's power network. The visit followed a meeting between KE's Senior Leadership and Governor Sindh where KE presented an update on the company's preparedness for Ramadan and the 2021 summer season.
BQPS-III is a USD 650 million project which will be adding 900 MW of generation capacity to KE's existing network. This mega-project is progressing on the back of close collaboration between leading engineering firms who are partnering with KE to achieve a shared vision of empowering Karachi.
Work is progressing swiftly, and the first unit of 450 MW is over 70% complete and is expected to come online in the next 5 to 6 weeks. The high-efficiency plant will be utilizing RLNG as its primary fuel source. Not only is this expected to reduce the carbon footprint, but the inclusion of RLNG will also further diversify the company's fuel mix and bring savings by lowering import costs for the government by eliminating the need for furnace oil.
KE officials were joined by senior representatives from Siemens, SSGC, and PLL, who apprised the Governor of the progress on the construction of a spur pipeline which will be supplying 150mmcfd of gas to BQPS-III, which is keeping pace with the plant's progress and is also over 90% complete.
The underlying Gas Supply Agreement between SSGC and PLL is also in advanced stages and is expected to be finalized as soon as necessary approvals are received from the Government, ensuring an adequate supply of fuel to energize the plant.
Commenting on his visit, Governor Imran Ismail said, “The sincerity of the Government of Pakistan is evident in the support they have extended to KE, and I am pleased to see that Sehr and Iftar times during this Ramadan are exempt from load-shed as a result. I’m monitoring the situation daily to ensure that the best possible facilitation is given to the citizens of Karachi.
Seeing the scale and progress of work and the commitment with which KE is working, I feel positive for the future of the city. KE’s management and representatives from Siemens, SSGC, and PLL have assured me that they are working to complete the project on time, and I have instructed them to resolve any bottlenecks that may affect the energization of the plant which is expected to be inaugurated by the Honorable Prime Minister. In this process, I have also assured them of my fullest support from my office and from the Government of Pakistan.”
CEO K-Electric, Moonis Alvi said, “We’re grateful to Governor Imran Ismail sahab and our partners at Siemens, SSGC, and PLL for visiting BQPS-III today. The timely execution of this project is critical to meet Karachi’s future demand, and we are all working around the clock to ensure the same. I also want to commend the Government of Pakistan for their support to KE and Karachi, especially during Ramadan which has enabled us to fully support Karachi’s power requirements. We look forward to this support in the summer months as well. Without their assistance and collaboration, it would not be possible for us to realize this dream for Karachi.”
Speaking with the media during his visit to the under-construction BQPS-III site, Mr. Imran Maniar, Managing Director Sui Southern Gas Company Limited (SSGCL) said, “It is very important for us to work together with KE which is also our largest customer. Timely energization of this plant is necessary and we are working with KE to ensure their RLNG requirement is met. SSGC is pleased to be playing its role in this process.”
- Indian villagers set up 'Corona Mata' temple to ward off deadly virus01:08 AM | 19 Jun, 2021
- USAID provides more anti-Covid assistance to Pakistan10:53 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Pakistan values UK’s balanced role in global, regional affairs: ...09:50 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- On this day in 2017, Pakistan defeated India to win maiden ICC ...09:06 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- AJK minister quits PML-N to join PTI ahead of July 25 polls08:41 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Bollywood diva Anushka Sharma spotted enjoying English summer05:55 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Lovebirds Nimra and Asad give major holiday goals with latest clicks03:13 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- Take a tour of Meesha Shafi's Canadian bungaloft04:36 PM | 18 Jun, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021
- Best anti-aging foods to look younger09:47 PM | 18 May, 2021
- Top cricketers who married athletes09:20 PM | 8 May, 2021