MQM calls PTI presence in NA 'unconstitutional'
"PTI members partook in NA after ages...it should also be clear that they were members who had tendered their resignations."
"Under clause (1) of Article 64 of the Constitution, it is evident that when a parliamentarian tenders his/her resignation, it is considered as such and that parliamentarian should no longer attend House proceedings."
He further said there was "no question of accepting or not accepting a resignation...a resignation is a resignation and takes on constitutional importance once it is tendered."
Sattar said even if National Assembly Speaker Ayaz Sadiq permitted PTI members to return to NA after a seven-month hiatus, it was not authorised behaviour on his part.
"Being custodian of the Parliament and chairing the joint session, if the speaker violates clause (a) of Article 64 of the Constitution and other members of the House, too, maintain silence on the pretext of democracy, it is tantamount to making a joke of both democracy and the Constitution."
He said if a parliamentarian remained absent from House proceedings for 40 consecutive days, then he/she was automatically de-seated from NA membership.
He said the party may boycott and record the party’s protest until it was given an explanation regarding the attendance of PTI lawmakers in the Parliament.
"We have been mandated to protect the Constitution and until we get a response on this, we will continue to boycott the Parliament and record our protest; if need be we will also go to court," he said.
- Shahrukh Khan’s wife, son trolled over ‘running away from ...07:56 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- A Star-studded Launch of the realme 8 Series Awaits with a ...06:59 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Historic as 4-year-old Pakistani girl becomes youngest Microsoft ...06:26 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- IHC rejects plea seeking cancellation of O/A level exams06:08 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Amna Mufti opens up about her meeting with PM Imran Khan01:36 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani ACCA topper Zara Dar pens a heartwarming note about parents04:36 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Queen Elizabeth II shares a thankful note on 95th birthday03:38 PM | 23 Apr, 2021
- Celebrity babies born in 202105:19 PM | 20 Apr, 2021
- Pakistani passport still fourth-worst for international travel in 202110:31 AM | 17 Apr, 2021
- Ramadan 2021: Pakistan issues new guidelines to stem third Covid wave12:15 PM | 14 Apr, 2021
- Ten Stars who were Student Athletes04:30 PM | 13 Apr, 2021