Supreme Court summons General (r) Pervez Musharraf with no-arrest assurance
During the hearing of the case on Thursday, the top judge assured that the former president would not be arrested upon his arrival on the next hearing.
A three-judge bench, headed by the Chief Justice of Pakistan (CJP) Justice Mian Saqib Nisar, resumed the hearing of Musharraf’s review petition against his disqualification by the Peshawar High Court in 2013 and directed the former military ruler to appear before the top court’s Lahore registry.
"We will pass an order ensuring authorities do not arrest the former president before his appearance in court," the CJP declared.
Upon this, Musharraf's counsel told the court that the deadline was approaching for his client to file his nomination papers.
To this, Justice Nisar remarked that he will direct the returning officers to accept Musharraf’s nomination papers conditional to the final verdict on his appeal.
The Peshawar High Court (PHC) had announced lifetime disqualification for former president Pervez Musharraf prior to the 2013 general election; Musharraf had filed a plea in 2016 in the Supreme Court against the verdict.
- T20 World Cup: Namibia win toss and opt to field first against ...03:08 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- vivo announces the launch of X70 Pro in Pakistan02:34 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Rachel Levine sworn in as first openly transgender four-star admiral ...01:34 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- SC decides to probe delay in local bodies’ restoration in Punjab01:08 PM | 20 Oct, 2021
- Daler Mehndi wishes Eid Milad-un-Nabi to Muslim fans06:33 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Kumail Nanjiani dressed up in a Pakistani designer at Eternals ...02:00 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Ayeza Khan’s new fashion look gets trolled by netizens05:25 PM | 19 Oct, 2021
- Pakistani celebrities who passed away in 202102:00 PM | 17 Oct, 2021
- India falls to 101 in Global Hunger Index 2021, 9 ranks below Pakistan10:54 AM | 16 Oct, 2021
- Celebrity deaths in 202111:59 PM | 12 Oct, 2021
- Hollywood stars with surprising hidden talents07:11 PM | 13 Sep, 2021