PML-N to elect Shahbaz Sharif as party president: Zafarul Haq
While giving an interview to BBC Urdu, the party’s Leader of House in the Senate said that a formal announcement regarding this will be made in a day or two.
“The younger Sharif has been selected to replace Nawaz based on the wishes of a majority of party members,” Haq was quoted as saying.
Earlier in the day, the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) issued a notice to the PML-N for the appointment of a new party leader.
The ECP in the notice said that under the Political Parties Order 2002, a disqualified lawmaker cannot hold any office in a political party.
Nawaz Sharif, 68, was disqualified by the Supreme Court last month but kept his grip on the ruling Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) party and outlined plans for Shahid Khaqan Abbasi to act as interim prime minister until his brother, Shahbaz, becomes eligible to take over by winning the by-election. But Nawaz and PML-N leadership have decided that Shahbaz should continue in his role as chief minister of Punjab.
ECP asks PML-N to appoint new party head 03:18 PM | 8 Aug, 2017
ISLAMABAD - The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on Tuesday directed the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) to ...
- Ex-CM Sindh Arbab Ghulam Rahim appointed as PM's aide on Sindh affairs02:56 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Sajid Sadpara scales K2 amid expedition to search father’s body02:25 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- ‘Americans are subject to residing country’s laws’, US embassy ...02:05 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Engin Altan aka Ertugrul celebrates birthday party at beach12:37 PM | 28 Jul, 2021
- Maya Ali celebrates birthday in style07:00 PM | 27 Jul, 2021
- Stars who used apps to find love08:02 PM | 24 Jul, 2021
- World’s most powerful passports in 2021: Where does Pakistan stand?03:35 PM | 7 Jul, 2021
- 16 Pakistani universities among Asia's top 50002:36 PM | 8 Jun, 2021
- Famous figures who survived serious plane incidents07:21 PM | 29 May, 2021