SC reserves verdict on Asia Bibi's final appeal against death sentence
A three-judge special bench headed by Chief Justice of Pakistan Justice Mian Saqib Nisar and comprising Justice Asif Saeed Khosa and Justice Mazhar Alam Khan Miankhel heard the appeal of the Christian mother of four, who in 2010 became the first woman to be sentenced to death under Pakistan's blasphemy law.
While reserving the verdict on the appeal, the CJP cautioned the media against commenting on or discussing the case until the detailed judgment has been issued.
Supreme Court stays Asia Bibi's execution 01:29 PM | 22 Jul, 2015
LAHORE (Web Desk) - Staying the execution of a Christian woman, Asia Bibi, the Supreme Court of Pakistan on Wednesday ...
Asia Bibi's lawyer Saiful Mulook told the bench that a case was filed against Bibi by a prayer leader in the village of Katanwala in Nankana Sahib, according to which Asia Bibi had confessed to committing blasphemy, he said.
"Are these things on the record?" the CJP asked Saiful Mulook.
"No permission to file the FIR was taken from the district coordination officer or the district police officer," he said, adding that the prayer leader in the FIR said that the villagers had not attempted to beat Asia Bibi.
"What we can conclude from your statements is that the prayer leader himself did not witness the incident as it happened," Justice Khosa observed. "No blasphemous language was uttered in the presence of the prayer leader."
"According to the prayer leader, a panchayat [to discuss the matter] was held in a house. It was said that 1,000 people were gathered for the meeting," the CJP said.
Asia Bibi and two Muslim women had a heated exchange, the lawyer told the court. The reason behind it was that the women had refused to drink water from the same dish as Asia.
The statements of the Muslim women, Asma and Isma, are contradictory, the lawyer said.
Asia's lawyer recalled that, according to a witness statement, the owner of the land where the incident took place was present when she confessed. All the witnesses were trying their best to ensure Asia does not get away, he added.
The investigation was faulty and grounded in malicious intent. In such a situation, Section 295-Cis inapplicable, the lawyer argued.
"The witness testimonies did not state that she had used blasphemous language for the Holy Quran," he said. "No blasphemous words were used at all. Asia, in her statement, said that she could not even conceive of committing blasphemy," Saiful Mulook said.
He added that she respects Islamic education and the Holy Prophet (peace be upon him) with all her heart.
"She simply had an argument with two women. During that argument, they exchanged harsh words," the lawyer said.
The allegations against Bibi date back to June 2009, when she was labouring in a field and a row broke out with some Muslim women who alleged that she committed blasphemy against Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him).
SC judge refuses to hear final appeal in Asia ... 12:03 PM | 13 Oct, 2016
ISLAMABAD - A Supreme Court judge on Thursday refused to hear the final appeal of Asia Bibi –the Christian woman ...
Bibi was convicted of blasphemy and sentenced to death in 2010.
The top court had last taken up the appeal in October 2016, but had to adjourn the matter without hearing after one of the judges recused himself from the SC bench.
- Pakistan’s ‘best bank' denies trans rights activist an account ...11:52 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Pakistan Air Force chief meets Turkish defence industries head11:22 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- WATCH – Woman accusing Babar Azam of sexual abuse says video of her ...11:08 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Punjab CM Buzdar lays foundation stone of Sheikhupura-Gujranwala road10:45 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- US threatens India with sanctions over purchase of Russian S-400 air ...10:39 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Selena Gomez shares the reason behind calling out Mark Zuckerberg ...07:32 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Ayeza Khan celebrates 30th birthday04:22 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Details of Varun Dhawan-Natasha Dalal's wedding revealed03:58 PM | 16 Jan, 2021
- Stars who dated in the past11:38 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- COVID-19 – How many vaccine doses Pakistan and neighbouring ...08:34 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- 10 women celebs who lent their star power to UN06:50 PM | 5 Jan, 2021
- #2020InReview – Pakistan's initiatives in the year 202010:55 PM | 4 Jan, 2021