Oil prices down in Asian trade
US benchmark West Texas Intermediate (WTI) dipped 20 cents to $49.41 a barrel while Brent shed 39 cents to $59.34 in late-morning trade.
WTI slipped $1.15 and Brent crude dropped 75 cents on Friday after a robust US jobs report sent the greenback soaring.
"As the US dollar continues to rally today, the demand for oil will fall and it is hard to see any respite to the oil market at the moment," David Lennox, resource analyst at Fat Prophets in Sydney, told AFP.
The US dollar bought 120.92 Japanese yen in Asian trade Monday, up from 120.78 yen late Friday after the release of the February US jobs report. It stood at 120.14 yen on Thursday.
Despite bad winter weather, the world's largest economy added 295,000 jobs in February and the unemployment rate fell to 5.5 percent, the lowest level since May 2008.
A stronger greenback makes dollar-priced oil more expensive for buyers using weaker currencies, denting demand and pushing prices lower.
Lennox said downward pressure came US inventories stand at record levels, adding to flush global supplies.
The US Department of Energy last week said commercial crude inventories jumped 10.3 million barrels in the week February 27, reaching new record for the fifth consecutive weak.
- Pakistan signs $1.1bn deal with Qatar to import oil, LNG02:37 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- UN, US hail Pakistan-India agreement to ceasefire at LoC in disputed ...02:20 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- #PSL6 | Match 7, #LQvMS: Sultans bowl first against Qalandars – ...02:00 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- PM Imran arrives in Lahore on day-long visit01:42 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- This Indian actress agrees Karachi has the best food in South Asia01:22 PM | 26 Feb, 2021
- ‘Ghabrana Nahi Hai’ – Kashif Zameer reassures Pakistanis of ...11:49 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Dil Na Umeed Toh Nahi – A gripping plot about social evils09:42 PM | 25 Feb, 2021
- Pakistan up three places to 105th spot in EIU's 2020 Democracy Index11:13 AM | 7 Feb, 2021
- 5 famous personalities who were banned from social media06:51 PM | 3 Feb, 2021
- Hollywood's top female celebs who lift weights to stay fit02:36 PM | 22 Jan, 2021
- Here's how world leaders responded to Biden's inauguration as POTUS07:24 PM | 21 Jan, 2021